Chapter Thirty Nine

Stowaways

"Just sit down JJ!" Kie tells him for the hundredth time

"Just sit down JJ!" Kie tells him for the hundredth time. He throws his arms in the air, shaking his head as he paces back in fourth in the small container.
It's been maybe thirty minutes since they dropped up, ten or so later we could start to feel the movement of the ship leaving. Not long after that light started peaking through the vents of the walls. I didn't realize it was morning.

"We need to move"
"We will"
"When?!" He asks agitated. My eyes move from him to John B whose nervously cracking his knuckles. "We need a plan first, we can't just jump out. Did you see those guys? They're sketchy" Pope explains making even more fear ball up in my stomach.
"I'm pretty sure they're foreign, they weren't speaking English" Kie adds.
"Obviously, do you really think Ward would be able to hire someone to do this that wasn't out of the country? Of course it's sketchy" JJ throws his hands around as he speaks. His dramatic side, not helping the situation.

We sit in silence for a few more minutes, silence aside from JJ's nagging. I've never been on a ship before, at first I felt like my insides were moving when we first moved but now it feels as if we aren't moving at all.
I've never been scared on a boat before but on here? I'm afraid we might sink. I never did understand how they float. The science of it, I understand. The air inside is much less dense than the water along wit the pressure of the ocean. But it still doesn't make any sense to me.
And it's still scary for someone whose never been on one before.
Maybe if we sink, I'll drown. The pogues will survive but I wouldn't and maybe I'd be okay with that. I think my mind is in shock, that or I'm in too much pain to be freaking out the way I feel I should be.
It's strange to me how my body physically hurts from it all. From Rafe. I can't pin point it, it's not like I stubbed my toe or something, but it hurts so bad.
If I drowned, if I died. It wouldn't hurt anymore.

"The arsenal" Pope speaks pulling me from my thoughts. Probably for the better..
"What?" Kie asks, her voice filled with confusion. "Every ship has one"
"Didn't know we were going that route but hey I'm down, whose going first?" JJ chimes in.
"We're not targeting them JJ, but we'll need something to hold our own, chances are they're armed"
"So where is it?" John B asks, my eyes move to his balled up fists. Sweat forming on his forehead. Why did I just now realize how hot it is in here? I hadn't notice the collar of my shirt was soaked with my own sweat until now. I've been in too much of a brain fog.
"I don't know, we'll have to find it"
"Last time I checked, we can't do that if we're sweating our balls off in a metal box!" JJ exclaims. Kie crinkles her nose up at him.

Pope shakes his head at him before moving around, his eyes scanning the entirety of the container. Landing on one of the vents. He can't be thinking what I think he is..
"That's our way out"
Oh he is..

The boys don't even question it before they both stand and start trying to pry the vent off. My eyes go to Kie who rolls hers before standing and we join them.
After JJ obnoxiously managed to pull it off, he hoisted Pope up so he could climb out. Checking around for anyone before giving us the clear to climb out as well. Kie pulled a view boxes of who knows what over so we could get up high enough.
"Don't do anything stupid please" I warn JJ as I'm last to climb out. I reach down grabbing his shoulders before falling into his arms and he helps me down. "I'll do my best" he winks as me before taking my hand and we follow the others. Pope staying a bit ahead of us to cautiously check around.