Chapter Thirty Six

Come back to me

Disclaimer: Mention of rape. Please read note at the end or you'll be confused!!

My eyes flutter open and my side immediately feels cold. Sitting up I see Rafe is gone. He must have snuck out of bed without waking me. I roll over and stand, tugging on the pair of sweats I tossed on the floor last night.

Making my way out to the kitchen I find JJ and John B in the kitchen. Both mumbling their conversation to a stop when they see me, making me feel like I've just walked in on something they didn't want me to hear.

"Morning Bell" JJ greets me, his lips falling into a flat almost remorseful smile. "Morning" I greet him back as I hop up onto the counter between the two.

"Is everything okay?" I ask as the two fall silent, they're eyes staring down at the tile floor. "Yeah..yeah everything's is fine. I'm gonna go see if Sarah is up yet" John B tells me, giving me a flat smile before making his way out of the room.

"What was that about?" I ask JJ who shakes his head, avoiding meeting my eyes. "Ah nothing, yanno it's just the whole thing.." he says, patting my leg. "Jage, what's going on?" I ask knowing something else is up.
"Nothing Belles" The coffee maker chimes and JJ turns around, pulling the glued together mug out from it. I watch the way he holds it, twirling it around and watching the coffee spin in the cup. "I'm not sure I want this anymore, you can have it" he tells me, setting it down on the counter. "JJ.." I warn, watching his eyes look everywhere but mine.
"Nothings wrong, swear" he says before turning on his heals and leaving the kitchen. Leaving me feeling uneasy and much like I'm being left out of something important. But JJ and John B wouldn't lie to me..would they?

"Well those two are being..odd today" I tell Kie as I plop down on the bed next to her. "JJ did seem odd earlier, maybe it's his dad?" She suggests, pulling a pair of socks on.
"It's both of them"
She shrugs, letting out a sigh, I notice the the subtle dark circles under her eyes. We've all been having a hard time.
The air feels so murky, thick with angst and heavy with the worry that Ward won't get what he deserves and Peterkin won't get justice. "It's probably just the whole situation, it's been weighing heavy on all of us"
I nod, deciding to try and believe that and ignore the little voice telling me that JJ and John B have a little more on their minds.

"Hm yeah..do you know where Rafe went?"
"He's not here?" She asks, her brows furrowing.
"He's was gone before I woke up" I explain, yet again feeling my stomach turn. "Uh no, no I didn't see him leave" she tells. I pull my lip between my teeth, contemplating texting him. I'm sure wherever he went, he'll be back soon. He probably just went to check in with Shoupe.

"I'm sure he'll be back soon"
"Yeah" I mumble, pushing myself up off the bed and standing. "I'm gonna go see if Sarah is awake"
I make my way out of the room, pulling my phone from mg pocket and quickly writing him a text.