Chapter 8: America Chavez

America was waiting to leave to another universe with the Avengers when a portal opened. A group of four boys entered the living room and looked around themselves. They spotted her so she got up.

"Hi, my name is America Chavez, nice to meet you" she said.
"Hi America. Are you an Avenger?" asked a boy in a blue suit and a red cape
"No, not really. You could say I..." America looked at Wong, wondering whether she could them.
By the look on his face, she knew not to say anything: "I help them with issues."
"What kinds of issues?" asked another boy, holding a shield.
"She helps us understand the multiverse. But that's not why you're here" answered Captain America. He was standing behind the boys.
They turned around and started arguing with him, mostly the guy with a shield. America sat back down and watched the scene.

"I'm sorry but we can't do that" a man in a suit, that hadn't spoken before, said.
"Sorry but Rhodey and I have somewhere to be. Since you won't cooperate, we'll have to lock you up".
"You can't do that!" one of the boys shouted
"We don't have a choice. Wong?"
America looked behind her and saw Wong open a portal underneath the group's feet. They fell and the portal was closed.

"Well, they certainly were a handful" War machine said.
He had just entered the room, but it seemed like he had heard the conversation.
"I swear I was going to kill them" Sam joked.
America noticed that he looked very tired.
"Where did that kid even get that armor. It kind of looked like Stark technology" War Machine pointed out.
"I don't know, but I guess we can ask him when we come back. But before we leave, we have a few things to sort out" Sam said.
"How do we know where to go" Rhodey asked.
"Our scientists figured out a way to pinpoint Mister Hyde's original universe with the help of Wong. They created some sort of software that replicates the concept of the multiverse. Wong casted a tracking spell using the substance we found in his blood. And America can open a portal to that universe." Sam explained.
"Ok, so all we have to do is suit up and shut down the facility for protection."
"Yes, and we'll also send a message to a few Avengers to inform them of our whereabouts."
"I need to tell my students at Kamar-Taj that I will be gone for at least a few hours. I'll be back in a few minutes" Wong said while opening a portal.
He went through it and disappeared.
"Let's regroup here in 30 minutes, then" Sam said.

"Ok, is everyone ready?" Sam asked.
He was wearing a blue, white and red suit, and he was also holding a shield.
"Yes, let's go!" America replied cheerfully.
"Well, do your star thing then"

America concentrated, remembered the location found by the software and pictured Mister Hyde's face. She punched the air and a blue star shaped portal opened in front of them.
Mr. Rhodes, now wearing his War Machine armor, walked towards it and held a device through it. He waited for a few seconds until the device made a bip. He looked at it and America saw a green light.
"The atmosphere matches the information we collected on our inmate. It's the right universe" Mr. Rhodes said.
"Thank you Rhodey. Time to lock the building down" Sam said.

He went toward the control room and entered. A few seconds later an alarm shouted: "Initiating lockdown. Initiating lockdown".
Sam came back from the control room and stood next to the portal
"Wong, it's your turn" he told Wong.
Wong opened a portal. The big, muscular grey monster, who called himself Mr. Hyde came forward. He was still in chains and America spotted an ankle bracelet with a red light that was most likely negating his abilities.

"Alright, I'll go first. Wong and War Machine, make sure he follows. And America will close the portal behind us" Sam explained.
"Then, lead the way" War Machine said.
Sam did so and entered her portal. The monster followed with War Machine and Wong watching him closely.

Suddenly, America felt a violent pain. Her head was hurting like crazy. She collapsed to the floor and spasmed for what seemed like a long time. When the pain stopped, she was still on the ground.
"Are you okay?" a girl asked.
America got up quickly and saw two girls standing in front of her. One was wearing normal clothes but the other had a bow and a quiver of arrows in her back.
"Wow, slow down, you need to sit down" the second girl ordered
America ignored them and turned around. The portal had closed and the Avengers were nowhere to be found. She tried reopening a portal but failed. She didn't understand, had she lost control over her powers?
"Who are you?" the first girl asked.
"I'm..." America started but couldn't find the words.
"You seriously need to sit down" the archer girl said.
"Ok" America responded
She went towards the couch but stopped midway when she heard an explosion.