Chapter 19: Billy

Billy was hidden behind a billboard waiting for Kate's instructions. He took a quick glance and saw that the robot had just landed in front of Iron Lad's empty suit. Billy felt his heart beating faster and looked at Teddy who was standing next to him. Billy started breathing abnormally and freaking out. He felt a hand grabbing his, so he looked up. Teddy put his other hand on Billy's shoulder. Something in his eyes was reassuring. Billy now felt calm and relaxed. He knew that he was not going to fight alone.
"He's 3 meters away" Cassie said, "2 now"
Teddy let go of his hand.
"You can do this." He whispered
"Billy, GO!" Kate shouted at him.

Billy walked away from his hiding spot and held out his hands. He closed his eyes to concentrate and pictured as round shape in his head. He then opened them back up. A blue sphere was appearing quickly around the robot, just as he had intended. He saw Teddy running towards the robot and then glanced back at the robot who shot an energy blast that destroyed Billy's prison.
Kate screamed "Hulkling STOP." But the robot hat shot a second blast that sent Teddy flying through the air.
Billy held out his hands and created a shield around Teddy which slowed him down. Billy kept going and even managed to freeze him completely. He then lowered his arms slowly to gently put him on the ground.
"Thanks, you just saved my life." Teddy said.
"Oh, don't worry, it's normal to help each other out, as teammates."
"Teammates right." Teddy said. "You know I was wondering, ..." He looked to his left and stopped. "Look out!" he suddenly screamed while pushing Billy out of the way.

The grey monster they had fought a few days ago had just charged at him.
Teddy had saved Billy but in doing so he had been thrown away by the monster.
Thankfully, Teddy got up again pretty quickly. "I guess it's round two" he said.
"You're even fewer than last time. But don't worry, I'll go easy on you." The monster told them.
He then started running towards Teddy again, preparing to launch a punch. Billy created a blue energy wall in front of him, but the monster destroyed it by ramming his shoulder into it. He continued running and was getting closer to Teddy. The monster suddenly jumped very high. Billy looked up and realized it was about to crash into Teddy. He concentrated to create a shield around his friend. He knew it wouldn't stop their enemy so he imagined the shield was made of actual steel. He pictured Elijah's shield, could feel its texture and strength.
The monster then crashed to the ground, punching Teddy's spot. But Billy's shield stayed intact.
"How is this possible?" The monster screamed.
Billy quickly transformed the shield into a pair of handcuffs that he used to attach his arms behind his back. With a downward hand gesture, he made him collapse to the ground.

Teddy had gotten up. "You're really saving my ass today, thanks."
"You brats won't defeat me this easily" the monster shouted angrily.
Billy looked at him and noticed some veins popping on his arms.
"Do you think he can escape your cuffs?" Teddy asked.
"I mean, you saw how strong he is. It's definitely possible."
Billy held out his hand and concentrated on keeping the monster bound.
"Could you try knocking him out?" Billy asked.
"Yeah sure..." Teddy responded hesitantly.
He approached the monster, prepared his fist and punched it in the face.
"HAHA! You thought this weak punch would knock me out? I barely felt a tingle on my cheek." The monster gloated.
"I feel him pushing against his cuffs. I won't be able to hold him off for a long time."
"I'm sorry Billy, I don't think I'm strong enough to defeat him."

"No, you're not" Billy felt the monster break from his control. "Although your friend's not too bad. I have to admit it was hard to escape his grip. Now, where were we? Oh right." The monster stared at Billy started walking towards him. Each time he took a step, the ground vibrated. Suddenly, Teddy intervened and started punching the monster repeatedly all over his body. The monster didn't react at first, but then he punched Teddy in the face sending him flying across the air.

The monster refocused on Billy, so the latter held out his arms and started shooting some energy blasts at him. However, his body seemed to suffer no damage.
"How can you do that?" He asked in a panicked voice.
"You know, since you're about to die, I might as well tell you. My body can absorb any form of energy and can transform it into fuel that gives me more and more strength. So, thanks for the power up."
Billy knew he was screwed. His powers were not suited to fight this guy.
He then remembered: "What about Iron Lad's blast. That defeated you before."
"Right, I don't know how he was able to do that but I guess if someone is able to defeat me, it has to be me."
"What? You're his variant?"
"Well done, you're not completely stupid."