Chapter 15: Patriot

"Ok, bye." Elijah got up and headed for the door.
He went outside of the warehouse, put on his hood and started walking. He had his blue hoodie on, with some sweatpants. He noticed that his hoodie had a bloodstain so he thought about washing it at a later time to make sure no one would see it.
He started thinking about all the events that had occurred and that's when he remembered a part of his dream. Something about being experimented on, kind of like his grandpa. He concentrated on finding the missing details but instead he only remembered some kind of feeling, a mix of desperation, anger and total sadness.
He suddenly noticed his hand was trembling. He tried to make it stop by forgetting what he had just felt.
However, it got worse, so he stopped walking, took a deep breath. Then he counted to 10 in his head. It seemed to have worked so he continued walking.

He took out his phone and checked his messages.
The most recent one came from Iron Lad, reminding him to return by 5 pm. But the message that caught his attention came from his grandpa.
Elijah read: Hey kiddo. I saw you on the news yesterday. What are you doing? You know this is dangerous. Please call me, we need to talk.
Elijah was freaking out. He thought he had been careful by wearing a mask. What was he going to do about it?
His hand started shaking again, so Elijah repeated his little ritual. This time he had to count to 26 to make sure the trembling stopped. He took a deep breath and decided to answer his grandpa later.
He was trying to move on from this awful feeling when he heard some chatter behind him, so he turned and he saw Teddy and Billy walking towards him. He leaned against a wall and pretended to be looking at his phone. He didn't want to be bothered by them.
"... like mint and chocolate chips. Really?
"What can I say? It's my favorite. What about you?" Teddy asked.
"Well, I would have to say straw..."
They had passed Elijah without seeing him. Though they were now far ahead of him, he decided to go in the opposite way just to be sure not to run into them later.
He realized that he was walking in the direction of his apartment, so he decided to go there for a while.

Once he got there, he crashed on the couch, set a timer and went to sleep. He was actually very tired as he had trained all night. He had done some cardio first by jogging then he had lifted weights and finally he had used a punching bag. His muscles were sore and his right hand hurt a little bit.
He woke up after a nap without any dreams (thank God). It was already 4:15 pm so he hit the shower and left soon after.
He had switched his blue hoodie for a black one, that was clean. He quickly locked his door and went down the stairs. It was still sunny outside, but Elijah preferred to have his hood on.

Suddenly, he heard a voice behind him ordering him to stop.
"Take off your hood and turn around."
Elijah did as he was told and saw a police officer.
"Did I do something wrong mister officer?" he asked in a voice that showed his frustration.
"Don't speak! Empty out your pockets, slowly."
Elijah executed his orders. He only had a set of keys and a phone that both fell as he emptied his pockets.
"No drugs on me sir"
"Nothing to report here" the officer said on his radio. "All good, you can keep on walking."
"Sure, have a nice day" Elijah told him. "Asshole" he whispered to himself.

Elijah felt a mixture of anger and shame as he walked away from the officer.
However, he didn't want his hand to shake again so he cleared his mind and thought about the fight ahead of him. He repeated Iron Lad's plan in his head. He remembered each step clearly and what he needed to do.
One question kept coming back though: Is he good enough to face this enemy? Not at all.
He had indeed lost against the grey monster only a day ago. Then the robot man had knocked him out a few hours ago.
What could he do against such a powerful enemy. It's not like he had powers like Teddy and Billy or a powerful suit like Iron Lad. He was just a normal man and definitely not a hero. Elijah thought he was only going to get in the way of his team should he try to help them. And he couldn't do that to them.
He went back to his apartment and decided not to fight.