Chapter 17: Stature

Cassie was in the Sanctum Santorum and she had just finished exploring the entire building. Each room was truly beautiful and contained lots of intriguing artefacts. She came down the stairs and found America sitting.
"How are you feeling? You really saved us back there thanks a lot?"
"Oh no big deal." She replied with a sad look on her face.
"You still seem down. What's going on?"
"My powers are not working, my real powers. And if I can't access the multiverse, then the Avengers are stuck there."
"Don't worry, we'll figure it out and we'll get them back."
"I don't know. I thought that I could control them, that I could help the Avengers deal with their problems. But I'm still a mess."
"America, listen to me. Those powers you have, they're a huge deal. So, it's okay if you don't control them very fast. It takes time. So don't doubt yourself and keep pushing your limits. If they're not working, find other ways to fight so you don't completely rely on them. But, I'm sure that you'll regain control of them and that you will get the Avengers back."
"Thank you. It truly means a lot."
Cassie suddenly felt a sharp pain in her stomach.
"Are you okay?" America asked.
"Yes, I just need to go to the restroom. Where is it by the way?"
"Second floor, first door to the right"
"Thanks!"

Cassie hurried up the stairs, concentrating not to let out a scream. She opened the door to the toilet and locked it. She lifted her shirt and looked at her belly. She saw two spots, a red one and a blue one. It was lodged in her belly, a few inches above her waist, to the left. She took out her suit, which was in a capsule in her jeans pocket, in its tiny form. She enlarged by clicking on the button on the belt. Once it was big,
She opened the belt's middle compartment and saw that two Pym particles were missing. She guessed that when the stranger had kicked her across the room, those two missing particles had detached themselves from the belt to lodge themselves into her body. Cassie wondered what would be the consequences of this unprecedent event. Before she could come up with any conclusions, she heard a knock on the door.
"Cassie, America said you were there. Are you okay?" Kate asked.
"Yes, all good."
"Okay, well we need your help, something's happened."

"So, what do you think?" Kate asked as they were both looking at her phone. It was showing a live report on Times Square.
"I don't know, it's just flashing lights." Cassie answered.
"I know, but it's weird. It kinda looks repetitive."
"Repetitive? Like a code?"
"Yes could be!" Kate replied
"Okay, let me concentrate."
Cassie stared at the screen and tried to recognize some patterns.
After a few minutes she raised her head and said "I got it!"
"So basically, the pattern starts after a pause of ten seconds, and it's all coded in morse. It starts now: long, long, short, short, long etc. I think I have an app that can help us decode it.
10 minutes later, she had decoded it all
"Meet me at Times Square, I am ready to fulfill my destiny" Cassie read out loud.
"Those morons are at it again." Kate sighed "But let's be honest they definitely need our help."
"Agreed." Cassie replied.
"Are you sure? I mean it seems like they really didn't want us to intervene last time." America said
"I know, but heroes don't intervene when people want to. They did it when people need it. And they need us."
"Okay, you're right. Let's help them."

The three girls emerged from the portal into Times Square. As it closed behind them, some people started looking at them with stunned faces. However, for the most part people didn't seem to notice them. Cassie looked around her and notices the buildings still flashed.
"We need to find the guys." Kate told them.
"I know, but in this crowd it's mission impossible."
"Over there." America pointed
A circle was forming a couple of meters from their spot. They got closer and soon recognized Iron Lad.
"Hey can we get a selfie?" some guy asked
He was met with no response. "Ok, rude."
"Pssst" someone called them. Cassie turned and saw Billy and Teddy hiding underneath the closed entrance to a shop.
She saw them making signs ordering her to get closer so she did, Kate and America followed.
"What are you guys doing here?" Teddy asked.
"We decoded your message. I assume that's your message?" Cassie asked.
"Yeah, pretty cool right?" Billy told them with excitement.
"So, what's the plan?" Kate asked
"I'm not sure we can tell you." Billy said
"Come on, you're in way over your heads. Plus, you need some crowd control or it'll be a bloodbath" Kate told them.
"She's right" Teddy started "We'll tell you the plan."
"Are you sure? Iron Lad will not be happy."
"To hell with him. Without those girls we would be dead. So, I say we let them help us again."
"Okay, fine." Billy sighed.
"So, you see that suit over there?" Teddy asked "Well, Iron Lad's not in it. It's a decoy for our robot friend. Once he arrives, Iron Lad will speak through the speakers on the suit and distract him. That will give Billy an opportunity to chain him. And I can swoop in to administer the final blow."
"Okay that's a pretty good plan. But there are too many ways for it to go wrong. So, first of all, timing is vital here. We need someone on the scene to make sure we attack at the best moment. Cassie that's your role, okay?"
"What? But how will I know when to attack?" she asked.
"Preferably when he's distracted or if he tries to attack Iron Lad. You'll know, don't worry. Then, America and I will take care of the crowd and make sure everyone backs away from the scene. Now, how do you plan to lock him up?"
"Lock him up? I don't think we ever talked about that." Teddy answered.
"Really? Ok, well, where's Iron Lad?"
"We have him on coms. Iron Lad do you copy?" Billy said. "Yes, we wanted to know how you planned to imprison the robot man?" he paused as he waited for the answer "Okay perfect. Thanks a lot"
"So, what did he tell you?" Cassie asked
"He's taking care of it as we speak. He told me he was fixing the cell at the Avengers HQ."
"Ok that's one less thing to worry about. Final question, do you have more comms?" Kate enquired
"I thought you would never ask." Billy replied.
Cassie was in place, on top of the shoulder of Iron Lad's suit.
"Crowd is evacuated. Still no sign of our robot friend?" Kate asked.
"Not yet." Cassie told her "By the way how did you evacuate all of these people?"
"I shot a gas arrow and shouted gas leak. They all left in a hurry after that."
"Pretty smart, Didn't know you were capable of ... Wait, I heard something" Cassie stopped. She looked around her and saw nothing but she swore she had heard that recognizing sound. She felt her heart beat even faster and suddenly she froze. She heard the sound again, this time stronger. It was the sound of a flying motorized object. She looked up and saw it. The robot.