Chapter seven

...

Sitting in the dining area of the common room, Garfield's fingers tapped rhythmically on the tabletop, the sound echoing in the quiet space like a steady heartbeat. He stared intently at his phone, frustration etched deeply into the lines of his face. Months of swiping, chatting, and going on countless dates had led to nothing but exhaustion. Each interaction felt hollow, each connection shallow, each date like a rehearsed performance with predictable outcomes. He had invested so much time and effort into something that ultimately left him feeling empty and frustrated.

His finger hovered over the final confirmation button as he prepared to delete his dating app profile. It was an act of surrender, a culmination of months spent fruitlessly pursuing connections that never seemed to fill the void he felt deep within. With a heavy heart and a defeated expression, he finally pressed the button, watching as his profile vanished into the digital abyss. A sigh of relief mingled with frustration escaped his lips as he rested his head on his crossed arms atop the table, the weight of disappointment heavy on his shoulders.

As he sank deeper into his despair, he became oblivious to his friends bustling around, involved in their daily routines. Unbeknownst to him, Raven lingered in the background, a silent observer of his emotional turmoil. She had witnessed him in moments of both triumph and annoyance, but this was different. She watched his despondent expression and slumped posture, a stark contrast to his usual jovial self. While she wouldn't have chosen to approach him in front of others, the empty room provided an opportunity she couldn't ignore.

Raven crossed the room with a measured grace, her strides immediately capturing Garfield's attention. He lifted his head off the table, his eyes meeting hers as she took a seat across from him. She appeared outwardly composed, her hands lightly pressed together, but the subtle tension in her demeanor betrayed her unease. The weight of the situation had left her grappling with an unusual sense of uncertainty, a departure from her usual demeanor of precision and certainty.

Opening her mouth to speak, she released only a soft sigh, struggling to find the right words. This situation had left her at a loss for words, an unusual sensation for someone who usually knew precisely what to say and when to say it. The vulnerability of the moment lingered in the air, creating a palpable tension that hung between them.

"I'm not saying this is going to work." She finally spoke up, her statement cutting through the silence and immediately lifting Garfield's spirits. A small, genuine smile escaped him at her words, a flicker of optimism in response to her honesty. "In fact, I am fairly certain that it won't. But I am intrigued nonetheless, and genuinely curious to see if you can prove me wrong."

His lips curved into a confident smirk, a glint of determination in his eyes. "I like a challenge."

"Let's set some boundaries." She continued, her tone firm and unwavering. She hoped that establishing clear rules would help alleviate the underlying anxiety she felt about moving forward.

"Okay." He agreed, his confident smirk still intact, though now tinged with a subtle eagerness.

"No pet names." She stated, her words a preemptive strike against any endearing monikers that might blur the lines between them.

"No promises." He replied playfully, his eyes twinkling with mischief. It was clear that his inclination towards playful banter remained intact, a facet of his personality she would need to navigate carefully.

"No titles. I am not your girlfriend, and this isn't a relationship." She clarified, her gaze locked onto his. The intensity in her eyes conveyed a desire for clarity, a determination to maintain the boundaries she was setting.