Waiting

Finally making it to the rooftop access to their apartment, Matt stopped in his tracks and looked at his blood covered gloves. He lost it again, over Adalynn. But he had to teach that guy a lesson: don't mess with any woman.

Slowly peeling back the velcro, he dropped the bloody gloves near the stairs before he bent down and slipped the laces through each other to get them loose enough to slip off. He wanted to hide his clothes somewhere before he could get them back inside while Adalynn was out.

Slipping his blood splattered shirt over his head, he dropped it on the roof top before sitting the boots on top of it; he was not about to let the wind blow away his shirt.

Deeming his pants semi-clean, he slipped off his mask and headed inside. He was slow and methodical with his steps, praying silently that he didn't step on a creaky board. Once down the stairs, he pushed out a sigh before he froze in his spot; someone was either in the apartment or Adalynn was awake.

"Matty?" Adalynn's sleep ridden voice called. Mentally cursing himself, he turned in the direction that her voice came from and smiled.

"Hello my love,"

"What are you doing out here?" Her voice was soft and had a hint of anxiety. Her bare feet padded towards him slowly; opening his arms for her, she nestled herself deep into his embrace.

"I just needed some water," he lied. Guilt panted through his body as she hummed in response. Picking her up, he carried her back to bed; his heart singing as her head leaned against his shoulder.

Thank god Ajax didn't throw any of his own punches, or else she may be onto him.

Laying her back down on the bed, he brought the covers all the way up to her chin, tucking her in tight before he slowly made his way to the other side. Shimming out of his pants, he was quick to climb into the lush bed. The soft comforter and with Adalynn snuggling into his side, sleep quickly overtook Matt.

~~~~

Adalynn's soft groans woke him up the next morning, although she wasn't next to him in bed anymore. Confused, he tried to figure out where she was before another groan rang throughout the apartment; she was in the bathroom.

"Adalynn?" Matt called, his heart racing in a panic as he tripped and ran to the bathroom. Sitting on the floor, Adalynn was clutching the toilet seat with one hand, her other holding her head as she continued to throw up into the while porcelain bowl.

Dropping to his knees, he sat behind her and rubbed her back, not knowing what to do. Falling onto her knees, she fell into his embrace as tears silently fell.

"Want me to call Fog to being some soup and crackers?" he whispered.  A faint yes fell from her mouth as she held onto her stomach. Telling her that he would be back, he quickly made his way back to the bedroom to grab his phone.

"Hey morning Foggy,"

"Well good morning sunshine! How's Addi doing?"

"That's uh, that's why I'm calling. I woke up to her throwing up and called to ask if you could pick us up some soup and crackers,"

"Oh shit. Yeah man I'll be there in twenty,"

Thanking his best friend, he hung up the phone and made his way back into the bathroom. Grabbing a washcloth from the linen closet, he quickly ran it under the sink before sitting back down on the floor and pulling Adalynn back into his lap. Lightly dabbing the washcloth onto her forehead, he began to quietly sing.

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine. You make me happy, when the skies are gray. You'll never know dear, how much I love you."

"Please don't take, my sunshine away," she finished, a wide and tired smile spreading across her lips. Smiling down at her, Matt continued to hum the melody as he dabbed at her hot skin; her heart rate slowing down significantly as her stomach continued to rumble.