I Missed You

"Mom! Mom!" Smiling, Adalynn looked towards the voice, the sounds of feet padding against the hardwood floor told her that the little would would be at her feet in a matter of seconds.

"Mom I taught myself to read braille like dad!" Sage yelled, tugging on Adalynn's dark blue sweatshirt. Smiling at her daughter,  Sage nodded and attempted to push her hair behind her ear before she reached for Adalynn's hand. Leading her into her bedroom, she pushed Adalynn towards her bed, silently telling her to sit as she ran to the other side of her room.

Producing one of her father's books, Sage opened to the first page and closed her eyes. Slowly dragging her small hands across the page, she began to read.

"Late in the winter, of my seventeenth year,my mother decided I was depressed." she read, a wide smile on her little face as Adalynn watched on. Her heart swelled with pride as she watched her five year old read the first page to "The Fault in Our Stars".

"Adalynn, my love!" Matt's voice rang out through the home, the door closing quietly as he gained his bearings.

"Adalynn! Adalynn!"

"Adalynn Wren!" Sami's irritated voice broke her out of her daydream. Looking up, she hadn't realized that the two had almost completely packed up the cabin. Sighing, a stray tear slid down her cheek as she dropped her head onto her chest.

Her heart shattered all over again as she remembered the reality of her situation, her hand floating to her empty womb; part of her knowing that she will never get to experience her biggest dream.

Picking her head up, she saw her sister's hand outstretched for her, waiting for her to take it as a quinjet was waiting for them in the yard. Without saying anything, Adalynn pulled out a cigarette and lit it before she slid off the barstool.

Making her way out to the quinjet, Natasha handed her her phone, yelling over the noise that it had been turned off. Nodding, Adalynn took a drag before she pressed the side button in long enough to see the apple logo pop up on the screen.

Pushing smoke out from between her lips, she walked up the ramp of the jet just as her phone began to vibrate in her hand. Text after text and text, then the missed phone calls and voicemails, before just the missed phone calls as someone had filled her voicemail box.

Foggy's name spread across each and every text, missed phone call, and voicemail along with a few texts from Steve Harrington...and none from Matt. Letting her phone fall into her lap, Adalynn's head hit the head rest as she closed her eyes, her hands ghosting over her stomach once again. He ruined everything for them, their entire future together. All of their plans for marriage, children, buying a house- everything.

And for what?

"Who are the texts from?" Sami asked, her tone soft as she ran her hands through Adalynn's hair, beginning to section it off to start a braid.

"Steve and Foggy. And all the missed calls were Foggy too," she forced a laugh out as she began to skim over all twenty-four texts.

Did I cross a line? I'm sorry if I did.

Actually no, I'm not.

I meant it

I love you Adalynn Wren Hale

"Oh shit Ad, did he tell you that he loves you?" Sami asked, reading all the texts over her shoulder as she worked her sister's hair into a french braid. Nodding, she took another drag off her cigarette before switching screens to listen to the voicemails.

Fourteen missed calls, and thirteen voicemails.

A sad smiled played on her lips before she switched screens again, this time to her photos. Her entire gallery of her and Matt, some from when they were young teenagers, fresh in their relationship. If she knew then what was to come, she sure as hell wouldn't have fallen for his charm.