Empty Home

Cold and empty sheets were the first thing to greet Adalynn when she opened her eyes. Pushing herself up onto her elbows to survey the room, she let out a shaky sigh as her head hit the pillow once more, tears threatened her eyes.

He broke his promise. She should have known better, especially by the way he had hesitated when making it. She should have known better.

She swore he wasn't like the other guys  she had dated throughout High school and college. But she should have seen it coming when they had taken that six month break their junior year.

Unplugging her phone off her nightstand, she felt as if her chest was going to cave in; no messages, no calls, nothing. The world around her started to become blurry as she navigated towards the conversation thread between her and Foggy.

Pressing the screen to enter a text, her eyes clouded over at the thought of telling him that Matt had broken his promise and was gone once more. Did he even love her? How could a man claim to love a woman, and then break a promise that he knew meant so much to her.

Wiping her eyes free from the tears that had fallen, her phone vibrated in her hand; it was Sami.

Hey sis, universe told me you needed me. I love you <3 Have a good day at your borning lawyer job <3

Classic Sami; Adalynn couldn't help but force out a laugh. God she missed her sister more than anything right now, she sure as hell would know what to do in a situation like this. God, no she wouldn't; she would hunt Matt down and make him eat his own toes or some shit.

Ignoring her text for now, she stared at the blinking cursor on her screen, almost as if it was taunting her to say something- anything. But she didn't know what to say; should she tell him that she needed him? Or that Matt was missing? Or maybe that she wasn't coming into the office today because she felt sick?

Her heart seemed to drop within her chest; so many possibilities of why Matt didn't return running through her head, each one more of a possibility than the last. He could have fallen down a manhole, been shot, stabbed, beaten to death while trying to protect the hell hole that is Hell's Kitchen.

Pushing herself up into a sitting position, she took a deep wavering breath and wiped the tears that escaped. Try as she might, the thought of him out there, bleeding out, was too much for her.

Grabbing her phone that she had unknowingly dropped next to her side, she navigated through it again and clicked on Foggy's contact. Pushing the blue phone, she was quick to push the speaker button as the rings echoed throughout their room, the privacy screen doing its job in keep her sobs contained to only one part of her shared home.

"Good morning sunshine, I'm on my way over now to walk with you to work!" Foggy's cheerful voice rang through her ears. He was almost always able to make her smile, and in times like this, she could use a smile.

"Hey Fog I uh...I won't be coming in today," she tried her best to sound as if she hadn't been crying for the past forty minutes.

"Addi, are you okay?" A lump formed in her throat, a bigger one, one making it feel like she could breath. If she spoke, the tears would all come out as if the floodgates from heaven had opened up for the first time in a thousand years.

"Yeah, I'm fine Foggy. I'll call you later." Hanging up the phone, the device fell onto her bed as her chest heaved again, a scream tearing through her throat. She was helpless; the man she loved had broken a promise, a pinky promise. He had never broken one before; or had he?

She never would have known.

Through her blurry eyes, she was quick to grab her phone and once more navigate towards her sister's contact; hitting the phone icon, she put it on speaker just as she did with Foggy's call and waited for her to pick up.