News

"Last night, Police showed up to an abandoned warehouse where calls flooded in claiming a man was being burned alive. CCTV caught the Man in the Mask leaving the building before disappearing into the night." The reporter said, her tone heavy with disgust as his nickname fell from her lips.

Shutting her phone off, Adalynn shook her head before turning her head upwards to face Matt as he came from the kitchen. "Can you believe this guy? He set someone on fire!"

The sound of her phone hitting the table made him jump as he sunk into the chair next to her. Cradling the cup of tea in his hands, he curled up as best as he could without tearing his stitches.

"I doubt it was on purpose," he tried to brush the topic away in hopes that she wouldn't continue to pursue it. The last think he needed was her knowing that that was him.

"Pft as if! This man probably liked killing the poor man. And I bet he did nothing wrong!" her voice drew farther away as she walked into the kitchen. The sound of the fridge door's suction being released told him that she was looking for something to snack on.

"You don't know that, love,"

"Well neither do you darling."  He could hear her heart rate picking up as her tone became defensive. Biting into an apple, she sunk back into the chair on his left, the springs creaking under the sudden pressure placed on them.

He knew he had to be careful with what he might say; one wrong move and he could either out himself or lose her.

"Are you trying to dismiss the fact that this man murdered an innocent person?"

"No, what I'm saying love is that the news might not be reporting the full story,"He tried his best to stay calm as  Adalynn grew silent, seemed to contemplate what he was saying.

"Or maybe you're working for him,"

"Addi, love, why would I-"

"I don't know Matt, why would you work for him? Maybe you're the guy in the background telling him to go out and beat these people up or go out and to kill these innocent citizens of Hell's Kitchen!"

"Adalynn you're wrong, I can't even work a computer," Her irritation was rising with each passing second as he tried his best to remain calm. Reaching his hand out towards her, she pushed it away from her gently, not wanting this conversation to be dismissed.

The tension between the two was thick, he felt on the verge of tears at just the thought of losing her. He knew some people when he was a kid that after a large argument, they were done, and for good.

"Oh you're saying I'm wrong. Well then tell me Matthew, why are you defending this sorry son of a-"

Loudly setting his cup on the table, his chair screeched across the rug laden floor as he stood. "Because I'm the Man in the Mask! I'm the Devil of Hell's Kitchen!" His words echoed off the stone walls, spittle flying from his mouth as his teeth bared. Silence falling between the two as he heard her heart slow.

"You-you're the Man in the Mask?" Her voice came out in a squeek, her hands shaking as she took small steps away from him.She felt as if the whole world was closing in on her, the air around her suffocating her lungs and heart. All the times he would come home with bruises, cuts, bloodied clothes wasn't because he had fallen or gotten jumped, but because he was beating people up...and killing them.

"For how long?"

"Addi-"

"No! You lied to me, hid this from me!" A lump in her throat formed as she took a step away from him. His outstretched arms fell to his sides, his head dropping in shame; she was right, he had lied to her, but it was for her safety.