Getting Over Him

The darkness and heartache were consuming, the sounds of the fan over head the only thing that could be really heard. Other sounds made themselves known around the room occasionally; the dripping faucet in the bathroom, the sounds of someone cooking as the utensils hit against the pans, and the soft sounds of music floating through the air.

The sweet scent of cinnamon rolls, bacon, and eggs woke up Adalynn. Her head and heart ached the second she opened her eyes and remembered where she was and what happend; Matt- she broke up with Matt.

"Ad?" Sami's soft and angelic voice came from the other side of the door as her knuckles rapped against the wood. "I made breakfast. And maybe after we can go check out the lake? Nick mentioned there was a boat,"

Groaning, Adalynn rolled over and pulled the covers over her head; breakfast smelled amazing, but she didn't know if she would be able to stomach anything. She missed Matt, she really did.

"Come on sis, I'm not going to coddle you this much," Sami laughed, pushing open the door and letting the sunlight into the darkened room. Closing the door halfway, the bed dipped down with her weight as Sami rubbed her hand up and down her back.

"I miss him Sami," Adalynn choked out, pushing the covers away from her head. Sami's heart broke at the sight of her heartbroken sister; her normally beautiful curls were tied up in a bun, not having been washed in at least two days now. Her mascara from yesterday all down her face and her eyes bloodshot. She reeked still of blood and sweat mixed with wine and smoke.

She was a mess to say the least.

"I know cupcake, I know. But I'm here now, and we can stay here as long as you like to get over him."

To get over him. To. Get. Over. Him.

"No- no I can't," she choked, tears running down her face once more. She missed him, missed his laugh, his smile, the way he would call her "my love", and the way that he would hold her at night. Last night was the first time in years that she had slept alone; wanting to give Sami her space, Adalynn had opted to sleep alone. But she couldn't.

"Hey now, of course you can Ad. You're one badass woman, and there's nothing that my sister can't do."

"Sami you don't get it though. How am I supposed to get over someone who's felt like home since I was a kid. Matty, he and I-"

"Matthew."

"Matt...and I have been together since we were, god I don't know, five? Six? We're thirty-two now and I just find out about all these secrets? And that he's the Devil of Hell's Kitchen? AND that he's cheating on me? Sami, I miss him." Sitting up, she looked to her sister as she inched back just enough to not be so close,

"Enough Adalynn. Today is going to be all about you. Whatever you want to do- we'll do it, alright?" Adalynn sighed, her head dropping as she thought about what Sami had offered.

"Fine. Your breakfast better not be burnt."

~~~~

Foggy's shoes clicked against the cement stairs; he hadn't heard from either Matt or Adalynn in days, and he was starting to become worried for his favorite couple.

"Matt? Addi?" he called, his knuckles rapping against the heavy door. Scrunching his nose up in irritation, he could smell something bad coming from inside their apartment.

"It's open!" Matt's voice called. Walking into Matt and Adalynn's apartment, Foggy's jaw dropped open once he walked into the living room. Piles of bloodied and dirty clothes laid spread out all across the floor, the trash was overflowing and beer bottles sat scattered across the kitchen and living room.