love at first fall

I watch him glance around the class. Perhaps in part confusion. Deciding to be the angel I am, I start strolling over to him. 

"Elijah, right? The teacher just assigned us a partner project, and I think we're partners...I mean we ARE partners," I say, more aggressively than I meant it to be. 

"Ah, I can explain it in more detail later, do you want to meet..." I pull out my phone out of my yellow bag and pull up my calendar. I take my time scrolling through the calendar. Weirdly enough during this entire time, Elijah hasn't said a word yet. In fact, I don't even know if he was looking at me. I tap open Tuesday...full until 7. Wednesday similar. In fact, there was only one day I had free from 5 to 8pm. Today.

"Uhm, it might be a little rushed, but do you mind meeting up later today? I don't have any other days until Friday where I'm free..." I say sheepishly, finally daring to look into his eyes. There wasn't any amusement or joy in his eyes. Rather up close I could see his heavy eyebags and tired eyes. Far different than the aura he exuded. 

"Works for me," he says, his voice deep and heavy. His tiny sigh at the end said it all for me. For some reason he seemed very drained and tired. I turn up my smile to full volume.

"Ok, how about we meet at 5:15 at a coffee shop? Maybe at pumpkin cafe? Do you have a phone number?" I say, as I write the new agenda into my calendar. When I finished typing, I look up and stare straight into his eyes. 

"It's 111-111-1111,"

And with that he walks off into the classroom. Thank goodness, I have a bunch of experience with these kinds of people and didn't let his coldness get to me. Trying to contain the sigh that was about to burst of out me, I walk back to my group. 

"So?? How's Elijah like? He sure is damn hot," Cindy says, fanning herself and rolling her eyes dramatically.

"Well, why don't you just walk up to him? His personality is just so very draining...." I say, letting out dramatic sigh and copying Cindy, letting a smile tug into my face. Talking with her, was really refreshing after wordless Elijah. Smiling I open up my phone again and rename what Elijah's contact was to "Wordless Elijah." 

"What are you smiling at?" Jays voice cuts into my ears, and I realize my mouth was pulled up in a slight smile. My heart beats a little faster and I startle. 

"You," I say, raising my eyebrows up teasingly. I hold my awkward smile and we stared at each other in silence until he twerked his eyebrows up jokingly and we both burst out laughing. At his laugh, my heart beats a little faster and my spirit a little lighter. 

"Having fun with you partner?" Jay asks, with a lingering smile.

"Oh PLEASE, you have to be joking," I say rolling my eyes and letting out my 1000th sigh of today.

"I suppose that's a yes!" Jay says with obviously fake innocence. Finally, I release my urge to smack Jay senseless and start running after him holding my bag up in the sky threateningly. He laughs and runs out of the door, with me just a hair away. We keep running, him in his sneakers and me in my boots until he finally reaches an empty hall. 

"Sure can run even in those heel lifters, can you?" 

"You bet. Don't underestimate the power of boots," I pant, lifting up my shoes happily. We both laugh and start walking back to class. 

"Piggyback me," I say randomly as we're one third the way to the class.

"I thought you said running in those heel lifters was no problem?" 

"Don't mean they don't hurt..." I smile coyly, motioning to come over. 

"Fine..." He says, without much protest. Classic Jay, always taking care of people. Bending down, I jumped onto his back happily and wrap my arms around his neck.