Dry Food

~ALLIE POV~

I stood up, and stormed out, dad following slowly behind me. I saw Mom and Neil put Charlie in their car and they drove off. Dad and I made our way to Mom's house later that evening, and Neil answered the door, but we just shoved our way past him. I watched as Charlie began yelling in Neils face, and I was very proud of him.

"Bernard called me sport because he knew everything!" He cried.

"Bernard was also an–" Dad quickly put a gloved hand over my mouth.

"Right, dad?" Charlie asked. "Remember!"

He tossed dad his snow globe and I watched as he studied it. They smiled at each other and Charlie hugged dad. "Thank you, Charlie. Thank you."

"I love you dad."

Charlie let go of his hug to dad, and wrapped his arms around me. Mom and Neil stormed off after dad asked them to leave, and I felt smug satisfaction in Neil's annoyance.

"You saw." Charlie said. "You saw it come to life."

"You bet I did." Dad smiled, before he frowned again. "Well Charlie, I guess we better go."

"I'll get my stuff."

"No, Charlie," Dad said, stopping him. "I think this is a much better idea, if you stay here with your mom."

"I want to be with you and Allie, dad." He said sadly.

"Boy, I love hearing you say that."

"You mean I can go?" Charlie said. "Allie gets to go with you and she doesn't even believe in any of it."

"That's because its all bullsh–"

"Man, this bird is dry," A voice interrupted me. "You people heard about basting?"

Dad, Charlie and I turned to look at the voice, and I mentally groaned when I saw it was Bernard.

"Bernard!"

"Hiya, sport." He said standing from his chair.

Bernard walked over to dad and I, and he glanced at me and said, "You know you shouldn't use such language around children."

I rolled my eyes, not answering. I was still mad at him from the magic lessons.

"Please, can I go Bernard? Please, can I go?"

"It's okay with me." He shrugged, and both then turned to look at dad.

Dad raised an eyebrow and I immediately started protesting. "No, no, no. Dad, you know how mom is, she's not going to like it. She–"

"Aw, come on," Bernard said. "What's life without a little risk?"

"Safer." I responded.

Despite what I said, Charlie ended up coming with us.