YEAR 1

Some time had passed since Daarion met the princess of the kingdom of Evanduria. He thought of her every day, her enchanting voice, the way her smile calmed him. By this time the city was at its normal self, the merchants weren't overflowed with customers and the day came when no child touched the crystal, meaning the first trial has come to an end. The wizard overseeing the first trial dwelled again in his educational building, where he would spend most of his days reading text and discovering new spells.

The hostel was not completely filled. Many rooms were empty.

Haxios, a boy living in the room beside Daarion and Erwan hammered on every door and murmured something. The large older red-brown haired boy walloped Daarion's door.

'Clean yourselves up,' Haxios said with disgust in his voice. 'Put on those formal clothing, everyone should meet outside.'

'What for?' Erwan slowly pushed himself up from his bed.

'How would I know?' Haxios shrugged. 'The paladin told me to tell everyone. Treats me like a slave.'

Haxios rushed off to the next room, he yelled at the two girls across the hallway.

'He's only been here three weeks and he already thinks he's the lord,' Erwan shut the door with vigour.

The two boys dressed in their formal clothing, it was tighter than they thought it would be, however it did look rather dashing.

'This collar will strangle me to death before Haxios will,' Daarion pulled on his collar. 'We should make our way outside.'

The two boys steered their way through many children under the sun. Cries and shouts were all-round.

'Silence!' Azil shouted from atop the steps, covering the door leading to the castle. 'Two lanes, girls on the left, boys on the right.'

Many children slowly took place in two rows, some made jests while doing so.

'Now!' all the children obeyed him swiftly as they formed two lanes. 'Follow me. Keep your mouths shut, if I hear a single word from any of you, I will personally escort them back home.'

Not a single child uttered a word.

Azil escorted them through the hall of carvings, he made a left. Two knights opened two large, beautiful doors with two dragon-head figures on both.

They entered the main hall of the castle. Chandeliers hung from the ceiling with large spiralling pillars supporting the ceiling. The large red flags with a single yellow star hung from the pillars. At the very end were four steps leading to a large throne, decorated with many gems and stones, as if dwarves had a hand in it. Beside the throne was a smaller sleeker throne.

The old wizard stood on the steps beside a dwarf with a long bushy beard and large ears, a battle-worn man with short dark hair, and an elf; tall, fair, and smooth milky hair. The elf's ears were pointy at the edge and his eyes were light and calm. He wore a green robe with golden leaf patterns stitched on it, quite opposite to the dwarf's heavy muted grey-coloured attire.

Musicians rested at the sides of the hall. Long flat tables with many different foods and drinks were set on them.

The hall was large enough that even with all the children inside, there was still a surprising amount of unused space.

Azil took the four steps, overlooking the children.

'If any child wishes to leave, now is their chance,' Azil delivered a sentence that gave Daarion a cold chill throughout his body. 'There is no shame in leaving at this stage, if you feel out of place you may leave. You shall be escorted back home.'