YEAR 5

Two hundred students remained. A feast was held in the throne room where once the first feast was held to welcome the students. The feast was to commemorate the students for their hard work. This time alcohol was introduced, and the students indulged themselves in many pints. The hall echoed with the fast-paced melodies of a bard and his companions. The chatters and laughter of noble families and the students were heard from the city streets.

Daarion enjoyed himself, he already drank a pint of ale in the company of Erwan and Lyra.

'Come, Yara,' Lyra threw her arm over Yara's shoulders. 'Drink with us.'

'You smell horrid,' said Yara, attempting to remove Lyra's arm. 'Oh, and mind you, alcohol dulls one's mind.'

The table burst with laughter, Erwan spat out the ale he was guzzling down.

'See what I mean?' Yara grimaced. 'Erwan just ruined the table.'

Erwan grabbed a tablecloth resting on the table, cleaning it thoroughly and scornfully.

'Oy!' Haxios threw his boot on a seat beside Yara. 'Who would be so gracious in challenging me in a drinking contest?'

'Aye!' Erwan grabbed his pint, spilling the ale on the table again.

'I'll join as well,' Lyra jumped from her seat. 'Only if Yara does as well.'

'Oh, no,' Yara said with wide eyes. 'I'm not touching this fowl drink.'

'Come, Yara,' Haxios sat down beside Yara. 'Are you always going to be so bland? Just join us for once, maybe you'll enjoy yourself.'

'Very well,' Yara said hesitantly, 'but if I win, you all give me your sweet bread for a week.'

The other four laughed with passion.

'If you win,' Lyra said with a hiccup, 'I will personally drag your bathwater from the fountain for you.'

'Then let us commence,' Yara proclaimed as she grabbed Haxios's pint, swallowing a large amount of ale. 'This is disgusting.'

'Now all we need is Daarion,' Haxios said with an elated smile.'

'I've already drank one pint,' said Daarion. 'If I drink more, I think I'll spew.'

'No, you won't,' Erwan said with conviction. 'It takes much more than just one pint, I've already drank three.'

'Did you drink all three?' Daarion said with a cheerful grin, 'or did you just spill a bit on each table?'

The friends laughed merrily.

'Very funny, Daarion,' Erwan slammed his pint on the table, spilling even more. 'I'd like to see how you fair against the likes of me. Maybe this is one battle you won't win.'

'Pardon me,' the princess's elegant voice interrupted the friends.

'Oh shit,' Erwan quickly sat down.

'May I steal Daarion away for a bit?' Tessriel pulled away a strand of her hair from her face. 'I promise I'll bring him back unharmed.'

'Of course,' Yara gave a formal bow.

Daarion followed the princess towards a door exiting the hall.

'Let us begin,' Lyra drank her pint with haste.

Daarion and Tessriel walked a familiar path. The moon was full and shining silver. The stars mirrored the princess's dress.

'It warms my heart seeing you and your friends so cheerful,' she said.

'You've actually saved me from their grasp,' he said with a smile. 'They were trying to drag me into a drinking contest.'

'Oh, is that so? Who do you think will win?'