YEAR 3

'Gather round,' Detla spoke. 'Shut it!'

The students all fell silent.

'Good,' Detla folded his arms. 'You've all managed to pass your second year, and now you're able to attain another weapon at your side to master.'

The students spoke again amongst one another.

'Yes, yes,' Detla said, 'I know it's all thrilling, but shut it. As you're deciding on your second weapon, be thorough, this might be your most important weapon. Now go on then, have a pick.'

There was no rushing, for they learned the importance of patience at that point.

Daarion walked about, eyeing every weapon there was to offer.

'Decided yet?' Erwan asked, his light hair swaying as he flicked his hair to the side.

'Not yet,' Daarion said, 'have you?'

'Oh yes,' Erwan held up a wooden one-handed sword.

'Another sword?' Daarion grinned

'What? Is that a problem for you?' Erwan sneered.

Daarion shook his head with his smile.

'Oh, Erwan is quite comfortable with swords,' Haxios stepped in, smiling with some fuzz on his cheeks and chin. 'Now he has a shorter sword, how brave.'

'And how about you then, oh mighty bear cub,' Erwan wobbled his hands about as he mocked, 'you've managed to take your larger axe and convert it into two tiny puny little wood cutters.'

'You boys bicker too much,' Lyra nicked into the conversation, 'at least we girls are valiant enough for something a bit more challenging. Behold!' Lyra swept over two short wooden blades, smiling broadly, and attempting to look menacing.

'Great,' Erwan said, 'now you can butter our bread.'

'At least she's comfortable enough for a proper challenge,' Haxios said, defending her.

'Oh, here comes the librarian herself,' Erwan said, 'come to have a word on my decision as well?'

'No,' Yara said, 'I've merely come to show mine.'

She spread her hands wide, revealing long wooden knives, though not much longer than her hands.

'Lyra,' Erwan said in the blandest way possible, 'I apologise for my remark-maybe Yara can butter our bread from now on.'

'Oh, shut it,' Yara said, 'at least I didn't pick another bloody sword.'

The four laughed; Erwan brushed off their laughter as usual.

'So, Daarion,' Haxios said, 'decided yet?'

'I think I have,'

They all stood in line, gloating over their newly adopted weapon.

'Another sword, Erwan?' Detla said.

Erwan nodded proudly as his friends chuckled beside him.

'Why?' Detla growled.

'I know swords,' Erwan shrugged.

Detla nodded, moving to Haxios. 'Axes, twin axes. How come?'

'More mobility,' Haxios said, 'I'll need to move around more.'

'And you?' Detla turned his attention to Lyra. 'Why twin blades?'

'Close range,' Lyra smiled lightly, as she always did to soften people's hearts. 'My first weapon is a bow, I require close combat weapons.'