YEAR 8

The full eight years were nearly upon the students. They truly reached their peak, there was no more to teach. At the age of twenty, Daarion was an attractive young man, his flowing raven hair dangled just above his shoulders. Erwan was the same age as Daarion, his light hair was cut just below his ears, most girls swooned over the sight of him. Yara, a year younger than the two friends didn't change much, she mostly kept her chestnut hair from her face. Lyra became beautiful, nearly as striking as the princess, she was two years younger than the two young men, her positivity and cheerfulness sprouted joy throughout the hostel, even injecting a calmness in Haxios. As for the stubborn young man, Haxios, he was tall, but not much taller than Daarion, his hair resembled his short red-brown beard, unlike Daarion or Erwan, Haxios adored having a beard, akin to the people of his house.

The five friends enjoyed each other's company under the cloudy sky, in the lush garden of the campus.

'This apple is too sour,' Lyra puckered from munching a large bite.

'Come now,' Daarion said, rubbing an apple on his shirt. 'I've spent all morning picking them.'

'You should've waited a bit longer for them to become a bit riper,' Erwan's eyes watered from the taste. 'They're horrendous.'

'It can't be that sour,' Daarion took a bite. His eyes narrowed, he sucked in his cheeks but kept his composure, attempting to hide the young apple's taste. 'See, it tastes like a normal apple.'

The friends giggled with joy.

'Oh, how I'll miss this,' Lyra said as her eyes scrolled over the clouds.

'As will I,' Yara said. 'Eight years we've been together, to think in mere days we'll partake in our final trial. I'm not certain what I'll do then, we've been here for nearly half our lives. This place has been our home, to find another fills me with sorrow.'

Haxios growled as he scratched his beard.

'Then, let us enjoy it while it lasts,' Daarion said with delight, taking another bite.

The rest took a bite from their apples as well, their cheeks stiffened as they chewed.

The light steps of the princess neared. She was graceful, her shining dark hair floated with ease, her light skin sparkled in the sun, her light cornflower dress boasted her elegant figure.

Daarion pushed himself up, enthralled by the sight of Tessriel.

'Good day,' she bowed slightly.

'Come sit with us,' Daarion said.

Tessriel turned to the two paladins guarding her. 'You may rest as well. I'm among friends.'

The two paladins took off their helms and sat on the steps not far off. Tessriel sat beside Daarion, tangling her arm around his.

'Taste here, Princess,' Lyra tossed an apple over to Tessriel, smirking at Daarion. 'Picked this morning, or so I've heard.'

She took a bite, a bite not too small nor too big. Her lips puckered. 'Oh, no,' the princess swallowed. 'This isn't nearly ripe enough.'

'Yes, yes,' Daarion brushed his hand over his hair. 'I know.'

'You picked these apples?' the princess asked.

'I did. And I thought it would be fitting for such a lovely day.'

'A wonderful gesture,' Tessriel squeezed her arm around Daarion's as she took another bite, her reaction to the apple's taste stayed the same. 'But they are pretty horrible.'

They lay on the grass. Their chatters were ongoing for hours, they bickered, and they laughed. The princess rested her head on Daarion's chest as she dozed off in his arms for a short time.