a certain bomb (part two)

"what? what's your question? the agency's on the fourth floor." kunikida.

"no i wasn't thinking about that, it was more well-" atsushi.

"let's take the stairs to be safe" dazai

"e-excuse me but i-!" atsushi

"quiet!" kunikida

"sorry..." atsushi

"atsushi, (y/n)... it's show time." dazai

you took note of each speaker as you trailed behind them all making your way up the stairs. silently you followed behind the three as your group slid in through the door and hid behind the desk.

"i can't- i can't take it anymore! it's all your fault! the awful armed detective agency's fault. now where's the president? BRING ME THE PRESIDENT!" jun'ichirō's speech began, just as you expected. now, how exactly did you plan to pull this off? you had to make sure both you and atsushi had enough time in the limelight to ensure you both cleared your entrance exam. atsushi wasn't aware that this was happening in the first place and nobody else knew that you knew it was just a test. you obviously couldn't just say you knew because that would simply result in another, unexpected test. one that you wouldn't have your advantage in. you're gonna have to play your cards very carefully right now.

"if you don't— i'll blow everyone in this place to kingdom come!"

"sounds like this guy has a personal grudge..." dazai whispered, "that's inconvenient."

"why'd you bring us here again?" atsushi mumbled.

"based on what he saying the bomber seems furious at the agency."

"honestly i don't think i can help you may i go now-?"

you barely registered the conversation occurring around you. not when you were so focused on making a plan. you had to be very careful with this. exactly when you move, what you do, and what you say could affect whether atsushi even ends up joining the ADA. this is a critical point in the plot.

"because of the work we do, we attract a lot of ill will." "did you even hear what i said?" "that is a military grade high level explosive. if the bomber acts on his threat and detonates it, it'll kill us and destroy the whole floor." "oh no-" "we might be able to reduce the force of the blast if we can find something to cover the bomb before it detonates. but given the circumstances— since he took her hostage. he's not only mad, he's cruel."

"do you know who she is?" atsushi looked away from the scene before him and at dazai.

"her name is naomi. she's a part time office assistant."

"she's not an agent?" atsushi asked allowed

"guess not," you replied "just a victim in this terrible mess."

"so what do we do?" kunikida made it clear he was speaking to dazai.

"he wants to see the president. bring him here." dazai responded planly

"are you insane?! he'll try to kill the president! we can't let the boss walk into a bad situation like this. plus he's off on a business trip-"

"oh right, i forgot."

you fought back a snicker. the way kunikida's tone had changed near the end of his explanation was hilarious to you.

"then there's only one option." dazai's voice was cold and calculated. if you hadn't known better you would have prepared for some kind of epic fight scene. the following rock paper scissors match was not all that grand. nonetheless, kunikida picked himself off the ground and approached jun'ichirō.