~16~

~16~

Gryff was already back by the time we had returned. We approached the house to find the windows lit and smoke coming out of its chimney. We found him around the side of the house, collecting some firewood from a small storage shed.

"Ah, you're back!" He grinned. "Just in time, I'm starving. I hope you guys got something good,"

We followed Gryff into the house. Inside, there was a small porch where a number of tools and a wooden shelf with hooks hung a number of cloaks, scarves and a singular, old tunic. Beyond the porch, opened up into a large open plan room, lined with rugs, chairs for both human and centaur guests and a large fire in one corner. I noticed tapestries and paintings decorating the walls, as well as a couple vases and dishes on display. Leading on from the large room was the kitchen area. A number of pots and containers were stacked, with a few pots dangling from a hanging rack on the wall. The countertops were a bit taller than me but I did notice a large stool which I assumed was for human guests if they needed.

"Make yourselves at home," Gryff said warmly as he put aside the firewood. He took a couple of the logs he had put aside and placed them gently on top of the already crackling fire in the corner.

"It's nice and homely Gryff," I said, taking in the space. Gryff nodded and smiled at me, thankfully it seemed to be a genuine one.

"Thanks, although I can't really take the credit I'm afraid. It's all Helia's design choices," he said gesturing to the various tapestries on the walls.

"That's a name I've not heard for a while, how is she? I didn't realise you guys lived together," Rio said in a surprised tone. "Where do you want these?" He asked, holding up the food we'd purchased for dinner. Gryff pointed to the kitchen counter.

"Just over there. Oh yeah, Helia and I have been living together since the spring. She's like a sister to me and I know things have been a bit difficult for her since her father passed,"

"I'm glad you've been able to be there for her," Rio said with a soft smile.

"She's away on exercise with her guard troop at the moment, but she'll be back by the end of the week. I'm sure she'd be thrilled to find you here,"

"I'll bet," Rio chuckled.

"So Sayuri, I never asked, how did you manage to convince Rio to come to Waehr?" Gryff asked as we put down the ingredients, before turning to take a seat on the fur lined couch. I looked up to find Gryff with his back to us as he rummaged around for a knife and cutting board.

"I'll be honest, I didn't actually know Waehr existed until earlier," I answered. Beside me, Rio caught my eye and gave me a gentle smile.

"Sayuri's my mate, Gryff, I wanted to bring her here to meet you and to see Waehr. To see a bit of the world beyond what's back home," Rio answered. By this point Gryff had turned to face us again, a teasing smile on his face. I couldn't tell if he knew Rio wasn't being wholly truthful.

"Your mate? Who would have thought you'd settle down, huh Rio? Have you made it official yet? Sworn bonds and all?" Gryff pressed, a swoosh of his tail as he sharpened a knife. I blinked, how could I be so stupid? It was one thing to be mates, and another to accept each other as mates in an Official Ceremony. I cast my thoughts back to that night, when Rio declared he wanted me as his. I remember how I'd fled, overwhelmed by the humiliation of being last, the only human and not knowing what to do next. There was a whole other part to the Ceremony that hadn't been done.

The customs of centaurs was to declare their desire for a mate, choose said mate, and go onto to swear their loyalty, love and bond to each other. The bond was then unified by the Elders and gods, said to be unbreakable. Rio and I had not had a full, Official Ceremony, which technically meant he could change his mind, as could I.