~6~

~6~

I must have fallen asleep because when I woke up, I was no longer on the back of a completely ripped centaur that just so happened to be my mate, but rather, asleep on the floor of a large cave. Outside, a heavy downfall of rain, the sound echoing around the cave walls.

My eyes flickered open and I sat up slowly rubbing my eyes as I looked around. The cave was indeed very large, but was surprisingly quite warm and snug. A fire was lit and was blazing warmly in front of me, providing just enough light around me. The cave ceiling wasn't very high but it wasn't low either. Rio probably would be able to stand completely upright on his hind legs and still have enough room to reach up and touch the ceiling. Speaking of Rio, where was he? I looked around, part of me hoping to find him, part of me not wanting to find him.

He wasn't anywhere to be seen. Although somewhat relieved, I also felt lonely and almost, sad? I felt a throbbing in my leg and I pulled back the covers to assess the full damage of my foot. The sprain was worse than I had initially thought. It was swollen and the most unflattering colour. I put the covers back over my foot and propped myself up on my right elbow. I yawned and then gave a heavy sigh. Well, now what?

I lay on my back and stared at the ceiling. I listened to the soft crackling of the flames as I thought about the situation back home. I wondered if Father had discovered that I had gone yet and if he had dispatched a search party? I felt an overwhelming fear of being discovered and brought home. I hadn't thought I'd ever get this far let alone what I'd do once I did leave.

As I was lost in my thoughts, the sound of clopping hooves echoed around the cave and I turned my head and saw Rio, who appeared to be soaking wet, hauling a load of firewood into the cave. He hadn't noticed me so I decided to turn over and pretend that I was still asleep.

I heard him sigh before the sound of hooves became gradually louder. Suddenly they stopped, sounding close to where I was "sleeping".

"What have you gotten yourself into, huh?" I heard him ask. I didn't flinch. "You're way out of your league here, and if we're caught, oh god if we're caught," I heard his voice trail off, before he began pacing up and down.

"You said that you'd go wherever she went and that you'd protect her but you can't because you're not good enough to. You're not good enough for her, and you never will be," he said with a sad laugh.

"But she is beautiful though, stunning actually. A little bit different, but then again so are you. What are you gonna do now, Rio? How are you gonna be good enough?"

I heard him turn and leave to dump the firewood down. He then stopped again and I heard him try to shake his coat dry, before a shuffling of the hooves.

"You're going to follow her, and love her like you promised, you're going to protect her and stand by her even if she doesn't like it. Because you're her mate, and that's what you have to do," he said to himself. "Now quit babbling and get to sleep, you might wake her," he told himself off.

I heard him settle down for the night and soon he was asleep. I thought to myself for a moment. Whether I liked it or not, Rio had given up everything to help me, the least I could do was to be a good mate.

I found my eyes closing again. I wasn't tired yet sleep took over my body and I was lost to my dreams. In my dreams, I saw a woman, who like me had two legs, was human. She was beautiful and she approached me, a soft smile on her perfect face. I stared back at her.

"You have much to learn," were the only words she said, before fading before my very eyes.

I woke up to the sounds of birds chirping outside the cave the next morning. I sat up to find Rio standing by the cave mouth, silently waiting with his muscular arms folded across his large chest. I watched him silently, careful not to make any sounds giving away the fact that I was awake. Occasionally, he would swish his tail or shuffle his hooves, but he stood waiting for a good ten minutes or so. I decided to "wake up" properly and sat up, rubbing my eyes.

"Rio?" I asked tiredly. He turned immediately, almost as if I had startled him, and made his way over to my side.

"Good morning, Sayuri," he said with a smile. "Did you sleep well?"

"Yeah, thanks. How about you?" I asked.

"Okay, I guess," he said as he reached and scratched his back awkwardly.

"Where are we?" I asked, looking around the cave. Rio cleared his throat.

"If you want me to be totally honest, I don't know exactly, but what I do know, is that we are very far from home," he said with a sigh and flick of his tail. I looked down, suddenly ridden with guilt. This was all my fault.

"I didn't want to drag you into this, I'm sorry" I said sincerely. He looked at me and shook his head with a crooked smile.

"It's not your fault Sayuri, it was my decision to come, remember? Besides, it's not like I can leave you now anyway, with that foot," he said crossing his arms and nodding his head at towards my feet, still concealed beneath the blankets.

"But I shouldn't burden you like this! This is my journey, you have a home back there, I never did!" I began to argue. I could see that in his eyes, he knew I was right.

"Like I said, I chose to come with you, and this is OUR journey now, I'm not leaving you," he said after some hesitation.

We both sat in silence for a moment, not looking at each other. I had so many thoughts rushing through my head, it started to hurt. Before I could think anymore, he turned back to face me again.

"Are you hungry? I was going to go and see if I could find us some breakfast,"

I nodded sheepishly. "I suppose I am. I can't remember the last time I ate; it feels like days ago,"

"Okay, well um, you stay here and I'll go find us something." He said with a soft smile. He made his way to where he had slept, picking up his saddle bags and attaching them strap by strap. He appeared to struggle with the last one; he couldn't quite reach the clip to fasten it round his body.

"Let me do that for you," I offered, but he quickly shook his head.

"It's fine, Sayuri, I can manage it, hon-"

"Come on Rio, it's my turn to help you out surely, after all you've already done for me." I cut him off. He sighed in defeat and came over to me.

I sat up as straight as I could, and reached under his body to fasten the clip. I suddenly became aware of how strangely intimate this was, and felt myself going red. I fastened the clip quickly and cleared my throat.

"You're good to go," I mumbled. Rio hastily stepped aside and began to leave the cave. I began to settle back into the bed when he turned suddenly, concern on his face.

"Listen, Sayuri, if anything happens stay here okay? I'll be back as soon as I can," he asked.

"It's not like I can really make a dash for it though, is it?" I said lightheartedly. He smiled awkwardly and nodded, before leaving the cave. My eyes followed him until he was out of sight.

In my stomach, I felt a strange sense of nervousness combined with butterflies. Feelings that I just could not explain...