~5~

~5~

Having decided I was going to leave, I started planning my escape. I waited until I was certain that Father was asleep before I left. I had packed some basics, such as food and water, a small dagger, a couple changes of clothes to keep me going and a blanket into a leather bag. I re-plaited my hair and dressed myself in  warm dark clothing. I pulled on a pair of black trousers, a loose-fitted top and a warm jumper. I layered two pairs of socks and put on some black lace up boots.

I knew that my Father would expect me in the morning, and would no doubt check in on me if I didn't come out from my room. I had decided it would only be fair to leave him a note explaining my absence for a while.

Father,

I was never good enough and I'm sorry that you can't accept me. I don't think I will return, so please don't bother sending out a search party, you won't be able to find me if you do. I don't know what I'm looking for but I hope that maybe one day I can return to a home where I am loved and accepted.

Until then,
Sayuri

I left the house, supplies fastened to my back and I began towards the woods. I remained quiet and focused at all times, trying not to overthink what I was doing. If I overthought it enough, I knew I'd turn back and pledge myself to a life of misery again. I walked quickly, thinking that I was covering good ground when I heard a twig snap. I froze and looked around, suddenly feeling very vulnerable and afraid.

"Who goes there?" I whispered. As soon as the words left my lips, I knew I shouldn't have said anything.

"Sayuri?!" A voice replied, clearly surprised.

"Who is that?" I asked, my voice wavering.

"Sayuri, it's me, Rio!"

I suddenly felt extremely awkward and uncomfortable. Rio was probably one of the last people that I wanted to deal with right now.

"What are you doing? Are you following me?" I asked, suddenly defensive.

Rio emerged, showing clear concern on his face. He was holding a spear in his left hand and had saddle bags strapped around his horse's half.

"Me? I was on night patrol, and this is the area I was covering before heading home. The thing is, princess, I should be asking you what you're doing out here," he said, folding his muscular arms across his chest. I shook my head.

"I needed to clear my head," I said, crossing my own arms. He raised an eyebrow and stared at my bag.

"With all that you're carrying? I don't think so," he said. I sighed and uncrossed my arms.

"Okay, fine. I'm leaving," I said. Rio gasped in shock and stepped back.

"Why would you leave the safety of the heard? Sayuri, what would your father say? Please let me take y-"

"Oh come on, are you going to give me trouble as well? It's so insulting that everyone seems to think I'm completely helpless and useless! Do you have any idea how hard it is being so obviously different!? And being made to feel so worthless about it too? I'm tired of it and I'm leaving. Don't you try to stop me!" I snapped, storming off. Rio quickly cut in front of me, clearly stopping me from leaving.

"Sayuri, please, don't be stubborn,"

"Oh, so now I'm stubborn? Rio, just go back to your perfect life and your perfect family, leave me alone. I don't want to be here anymore!" I pushed past him and continued walking straight ahead. He didn't try to come after me, like I was expecting. I even turned round to see that he was no longer standing there and had left. I carried on, a slight worry that he may go back and tell on me. I became scared that I'd be found and it would be dawn soon, so I began to walk faster, and when you feel panicky, fast paced walking isn't enough, so you break into a run, which is what I did. I ran so fast I could hear my heart beat ringing in my ears. I closed my eyes tightly as I ran, trying to calm my nerves.

I was running so fast I thought I was flying, that is until my left foot caught on a tree root. I felt it seize up and pain shot through my foot all the way up past my ankle. I felt my feet come off the ground and I fell, throwing my arms out, I tried to break my fall. I hit the ground with a hard thud and felt the earth tear my skin.

I caught my breath and looked down at my leg, which was grazed and bleeding. My ankle was a large swollen blend of purple and black, and throbbed immensely. I gritted my teeth together and hugged my good leg, which suffered some minor grazing, to my chest. What would I do now? They'd find me easy. I clenched my fists and shook the thoughts away. I couldn't think like that now, I had to try and get further away.

Using an old tree stump, I pulled myself up and tried to take a step forward. I put the smallest amount of weight on my left foot before I collapsed. I tried twice more, each time I fell, harder as I hit the cold, hard ground. "Once more," I thought to myself. By now I was breathless and even sweating.

I stood up and took my last step forward before I fell again. This time however, I did not hit the cold, hard ground.

"Sayuri!"

A pair of strong arms caught me from behind. I knew exactly whose arms they were.

"Sayuri, please don't go on like this. Let me help you,"

"Damn it Rio," I sighed breathlessly. "Why are you still here?"

"You won't get very far on your own. I'm coming with you," he said, pulling me up and sitting me on the old tree stump. "Look, I went back, grabbed a few things, and tracked you down,"

"But why are you helping me?" I asked confused. He looked down, shuffling his hooves nervously. He finally spoke.

"I'm your mate, and I'll follow you where ever you want to go. I want to look after you, because...well, look at you now, you're not doing to great on your own now are you, love?" He nodded at my leg. I rolled my eyes, refusing to admit he was right. He smiled crookedly and reached into one of his saddle bags and pulled out some bandages.

"Let's sort your leg out, then we'll move," he said, as he gentle began to wrap the bandages round my bleeding wounds. He then moved on to my oversized ankle, wrapping it ever so gently, although it was still incredibly painful. He finished bandaging me.

"Now, you're going to sit on my back and you're not going to say anything, you're going to let me take us away and you're going to trust me, okay?" He said, looking me dead in the eye. His brown eyes were gentle and warm. I felt my own gaze wavering.

Before I could argue, he had lifted me off of the tree stump and sat me on his back.

"Hold on tightly," he said, using his own arms to guide mine, which ended up around his human torso. "That's it, now don't let go," he said quietly. To be honest I don't think I could've let go. I couldn't believe that I could feel his rock hard abs from under his brown leather vest. Pounding his front hoof on the ground, Rio took off into the night, with me gripping his waist and actually beginning to trust him.