Chapter 1

*Alarm rings*

5:30 already. Ugh. Time to get up I guess. I gotta get ready for school. Ugh. Lord help me throughout this day.

Sorry. I haven't introduced myself. I'm Nicole. Nicole Cabo. I'm  18 years old. I'm columbian. This is my last year of high school and I'm so glad. I can't take anymore of the pity party. My dad died last year in a fire. He was walking along the street when he heard screaming. It was coming from a burning house. The firefighters tried hopelessly to put the fire out. But nothing was helping. My dad went in trying to save a little girl. Pretty Heroic. But pretty stupid. Neither of them made it out.

So if you think that's sad. Don't even. That isn't the worst part. My mom had gone completely mute since his death. Just like Katniss' mom. She does all the stuff she has to do. And she talks. But she doesn't talk to us. She talks at us. She doesn't want to become too attached to me and my brother. She's afraid we will die too. Its a stupid phobia. But whatever. She makes her own decisions. I just miss the way it used to be. When we would all gather around the table and eat together. Happy. Not anymore. I have two siblings. My sister Christine (25) and my brother Seth (8). I love them with all my heart. But my sister lives in New York with her husband. So I don't talk to her as much as I would like to.
I've taken to long explaining my sob story. Time to finish getting ready. Its the last day of school. I pick out an outfit from my closet: http://www.polyvore.com/m/set?.embedder=8114307&.svc=copypaste-and&id=158339627 . What? You thought that because I'm depressed I can't dress well. Well I can. I just get cold sometimes. So I bring the jacket just in case...

I have my own car, a red Nissan 2009 Altima. Its cute and comfy. My mom gave it to me when I was 16. I grab a banana, chocolate chip muffin and water bottle before heading outside to my car. I turn on the car and hear See You Again -my favorite song as of this moment- but it makes me cry. It reminds me of my dad. It makes me think of the fact that he's never going to see me at graduation. He's never gonna see me graduate collage and become a wife, mother, and grandmother. He's not going to be here for any of it. I look at my arms and decide to run back inside the house to add another line to the collection. Each cut is for each day I'm without you. I think to myself. Time to head off to school.