Chapter Five- Sang's POV

One year later...

Present Day

"My little raven, hurry. We've got to go. We're already running late."

Today everything seemed to be going wrong.

I'd woken up late, not hearing my alarm go off which was unusual in itself. The water heater seemed to be on the fritz, something I needed to talk to my dad about getting fixed. I couldn't find Lev's outfit for martial arts today. Burned my toast for breakfast. Now Lev was taking his time getting dressed and heading to the car. I hoped things would get better as the day progressed but I wasn't holding out much hope.

"My little raven."

"Coming mama."

He finally emerged from his room, sans shirt, and headed my way. His shirt was dangling from his hand. Sometime this year Lev had taken an interest in running around the house naked. Luckily, he kept his underwear on, but any other form of clothing was discarded as soon as he hit the inside of the door. When I asked him about it, he said it just felt right. That he felt free. Not knowing what to do, or even if I needed to, I dropped it and allowed him to roam the house as he wished. My only stipulation was that if we had guests over, he had to cover up. Luckily, he adhered to my rule so far.

Getting into the car, we headed out on the highway toward Lev's dojo. He had practice in about thirty minutes and with how traffic could sometimes be, I was pushing our luck. Luck that didn't seem to be on my side today. We were about halfway to the gym when my car began to make a weird noise. I knew nothing about cars, but knew it wasn't supposed to sound like that. I pulled over to the side trying to think of what I could do. Calling for a tow seemed like the most logical option, but despite being here for a year now, I still didn't know much about the place.

"Mama, what's wrong?"

"Nothing baby. We seem to be having car problems. I'm going to call papa and see what we need to do."

"Didn't grandpapa have a mission today that would take him away though?"

"Oh. That's right. Thanks for reminding me."

There was really only one other person I could call. As much as I didn't want to bother him, he was my best bet. Plus, I'm sure he would be ecstatic that I called. He is always telling me that I can come to him for anything. Day or night. Dialing his number, I listened to it ring before his voice came over the line.

"Sang? Are you okay?" were his first words.

"Hi, Sean. Sorry to bother you. Are you busy?"

"Not at the moment, but I have a surgery in a few minutes."

"Oh...," my words tamper off. He won't be able to help either. Isn't there a number I can call for car trouble? I just couldn't remember it at the time. I guess I could Google the number.

"Sang, what did you need?"

Right, I was still on the phone with Sean.

"I'm having car trouble and was hoping you could pick me up, but don't worry about it. I'll call a tow company and see if they can loan me a rental or something. Sorry to bug you at work."

I go to hang up when I hear him speaking on the other side.

"Sorry, what was that?" I ask.

"I can help Sang. One of my brothers owns a garage. I'll give him a shot and have him come get you. Send me a text with your location and I'll get him there right away."

"Sean, no. Really. Don't worry about it. I don't want to inconvenience anyone else. Plus, I've got Lev with me. I need to make a few calls and get some stuff sorted."

"It won't be a problem at all, Sang. This is what he does. Don't worry so much. He won't mind the little guy either. Let me get off here and give him a call. Text me your location."

He didn't give me time to say anything else before hanging up. I sat in stunned silence not knowing what happened just now. On one hand, I was excited to meet one of Sean's brothers, yet it was a stranger I was meeting for the first time along with my son.

"Mama, you okay?"

My son always seemed to revert to Russian when he was worried about me. I wasn't sure if he thought it would reach me easier, or what, but it made me love him all the more.

"Yes, baby. I was on the phone with Sean. He is sending one of his brothers out to help with the car. Let me send our location right quick and then we just need to wait for them to show up. Sound like a plan, my little raven?"

"Yes ma'am. Don't forget to call the gym and let them know I'll be late. I don't want sensei wondering where I am."

My chest swells with pride. So thoughtful and considerate. There are times when I wonder how I've raised such a child. I know it wasn't all me. Dad was a large part of it as well. Moments like this make all the hard parts worth it because I know I've done the right thing. I've raised him the right way. He didn't suffer for not having his father around. As much as I wish he was here to see him now, I know he'd be proud of the man he's turned out to be.

"Of course baby. I'll do that right after I send this text."

I shoot my location to Sean quickly and get a contact number back in return. I ignore that for the time being before reaching out to the dojo. The receptionist picks up.

"Hi, you've reached Academy Martial Arts. How can I help you?"

"Yes, this is Sang Buble. I was calling to inform sensei that Lev will not be in today. We didn't want you to worry."

"Thanks for the call. I'll let them know. Hope everything is okay and you have a great rest of your day."

"Thanks, you do the same."

It was only another ten minutes before a black jeep pulled up behind me. I watched as a tall imposing man exited the driver's seat and made his way toward our car. I've seen him at the hospital a few times with Sean so it wasn't exactly a stranger to me.

Getting out of my car, I wait for him to reach me before speaking out.

"Are you Sean's friend? North?" I remember at the last minute the name of the contact I got.