Chapter Eight- Sang's POV

When will fate look upon me with favor?

I really wish my papa was in town right now. I could use his strength right now. However, I'd have to explain a few things to him first. It's not like I'd meant to hide this information from him, from anyone, but it was just so hard to talk about. When Lev was younger, I'd told him about his father and what had happened. The whole time I had tears streaming down my face and hiccupped through the words. Lev was so upset that I was upset that he told me he didn't need to know. If his father didn't want to come around, then we didn't need him.

Lev didn't understand. Not really. At least not at the time. He didn't realize that his father couldn't come around. Or that was what I had believed. With what North was saying, I think my love might be alive and he left us in Russia. Did I mean nothing to him? Was everything we had together a lie?

I had given this man everything. My heart, my body, and my soul. He was my everything and I thought it meant the same to him. For three years, we spent nearly every day together. We told each other things about our lives that I don't think many others knew. We bonded over our shared pain, shared heartache.

Now I'm questioning everything.

Have I devoted a life to someone who never felt the same about me?

Looking to North, I contemplate what I've done with my life. My heart has been shielded from finding love with anyone else. I had given it away completely and had it ripped to shreds due to his departure. Has he done the same? Or has my child's father found solace in someone else? There is only one way to find out. No matter what the price may be to me. I have a feeling my heart will be hurt more in the process.

"Send your friends in. I'd like to meet them."

North calls out for his buddies and two men walk into the living room. They are complete opposites yet they radiate the same authoritative vibe. Much like my papa. One of them even dresses like papa in a stuffy suit and black rimmed glasses. The other is laid back with long hair but a stern expression on his face. It's him that I'm focusing on, much like he is doing with me. Whatever he sees in me is making me uncomfortable. It makes me squirm in my seat.

The long haired man steps closer before falling to his knees in front of me.

"I have one question for you and one only. Is your name Sang Sorenson?"

The breath freezes in my lungs. My eyes search North's face to see if he said anything to him, but he looks just as shocked. Turning to the only other person in the room, but I have to quickly look away. I wouldn't say it is judgment I see in his eyes, but there is something somewhat hostile in his gaze. For some reason, I don't think he is my biggest fan.

"How do you know my name?"

Before I can blink, he has a hold of my hands and brings me into a hug. I don't know how to react. What is happening?

"We've been looking for you for so long. We'd given up hope. Thought your father might have finally caught up to you and disposed of you. Or even Raven's family found out about you."

"You were looking for me?"

He pulls back and holds my face between his hands. They are so large, so warm.

"Raven has never given up on you. There were times when he would go into depressive bouts that would last for days, sometimes weeks. There is so much to be said, but I know he will be ecstatic to see you, to know that you are safe."

"Are you sure? I have things to tell him that he doesn't know about. That he has missed out on. So many years have been lost between us. We aren't the same people we were over a decade ago."

This man stares at me, really looks at me and I can see many emotions running through his eyes. I have no idea what they mean though. Why does he look at me this way?

"I know that things have probably been hard. Especially after what North told me earlier. However, I know for a fact that Raven has never stopped loving you. When he first came to us, you were all he talked about. It became harder for him the longer that time passed. He looked so hard, asked everyone for help, but when we couldn't find you something kind of broke in him. No matter what has happened, he will be happy that you are here. I promise you that."

Tears streamed down my face at his admission. I know why they couldn't find me, but questions filled my head. Raven was a part of the Academy like I was? Did my papa know that someone was looking for me? I wanted to believe that my papa wouldn't hide something like this from me.

I always imagined the day I'd be reunited with my love. How we would react to one another. The feelings that would fill me when seeing him again. Alive. Healthy. This didn't factor in though. I also didn't expect so much time to have passed. There is so much that we have to go over. So much that has happened that I'm not sure where to even begin. I know that the first thing I'll ask though is what happened to him. Why couldn't he find me? I stayed in our apartment for a while after he'd been taken. Where had he been?

Only he can answer those questions.

Before I can say anything else to the man in front of me, or anyone else, my cell phone rings. Pulling it from my back pocket, I see the number from the diner and straighten. Lev wouldn't call for just anything and it isn't close to his curfewed time.

"Lev, what is it honey? What's wrong?"

"Mama. I'm sorry. I thought I was doing the right thing. Can you come to the diner? Help me explain."

"I'll be right there, my little raven."

I don't give the men in my living room any attention, instead I get up and head toward the front door and head down the road toward the diner. Footsteps sound behind me and I hear a car door shut, but I don't pay them any mind. My only focus is getting to my son and finding out what is wrong.

My feet carry me through the woods and put me out in front of the parking lot of Bob's Diner. A group of boys stand around, some with bloody faces, but I don't see Lev right away. An older man stands with the boys with his arms crossed who North heads over to.