Kind Of Illiterate

[Short A/N]

Hello everyone, sorry for the incredibly delayed chapter, I was on hiatus. Not to worry though, we are back (but I cannot promise on being consistent). Anyway enjoy the chapter. The story goes on!

----------------------

(No One's P.O.V)

Snufkin analyzed the pendant he fished out, confused. Jewelry? He had no use for something like that. So what will he do with it? Throw it back? No, maybe it belongs to someone. Turn it into the police? No... Snufkin is not too fond of those people.

"I'll just hold onto it then. Maybe I'll figure out what to do with it later." Snufkin said, putting the pendant in his bag. After packing everything up he headed back to the valley, playing a tune on his way

Snufkin heard something, however. Yelling. A looooot of yelling.

(Y/N P.O.V)

"KILL YOU? I WON'T KILL YOU, I'LL JUST MAKE YOU WISH I WAS WHEN I GET THROUGH WITH YOU!" I yelled.

At this point me and the giant rat were going in circles. Anger washed over me a while ago, so much so that I forgot about retrieving the pendant. The focus right now? Get the rat.
"N-NO PLEASE! I'LL TELL YOU! I'LL TELL YOU! JUST DON'T HURT ME!"

The giant rat stopped and was on his knees begging me to stop my bloodlust, causing me to halt and catch my breath. I raised my eyebrow and stood still as a way of saying 'go on.'

"Stinky... Stinky said I can have that pendant as long as I sell it for 10,000 gold. AND he said I can keep 7,000 of that gold! Only if I managed to sell it. Please have mercy, I'm just your average business guy trying to get by!" The giant rat pleaded, tears swelling up in his eyes. 'Honestly, I can't tell if those are real tears or crocodile tears... it's pathetic either way.'

"... Okay. Is this "Stinky" an ugly brown furball that is short enough to punt into the sun?"

"Um, yes? I guess he does look like that." The rat replied.

I took a deep breath, and exhaled. Yep, it was him. He started this and he had me going crazy for it. And even worse I fell for it. My expression turned to one of annoyance as I glared at the rat. "Have you ever stopped to THINK if this "Stinky" guy would be kind enough to give you a big piece of a profit and only take a quarter of that profit?" I said, sighing as I slowly walked to the bridge with my head low. From behind me I heard a gasp, and then a very audible growl. "I can't believe I fell for that! I should've known this was a part of some cruel scheme Stinky had."
He looked in my direction as the realization must have hit him that he also aided in having something precious to me stolen, and now to never be seen again.

The giant rat made his way next to me at the bridge as I watched the water flow in its current, his reflection showing visible shame on his face with his rat ears down and everything. "Listen, I'm so sorry about, well, everything. But y'know, maybe it's not too late! The pendant can still be around and-"

"Oh, what's the point.." I curled up into a ball while holding my knees into my chest. How could I let this happen? This whole adventure was my chance to prove myself, and I blew it. What would Mama think? What would Belle and Sally think? I didn't even want to think about it. I sighed as I continued.

"Who knows where the river took it? The current isn't exactly slow right now, my pendant could be far from here! How could I ever call myself an adventurer when I couldn't even protect what means the most to me?" I felt tears prick my eyes, but I didn't dare cry. I do not cry in front of people, it just isn't my thing.

Silence.

Just the sound of the river, until I heard rustling and the sound of footsteps approaching us. "Sniff? Were you causing all that noise I heard earlier? I heard it from a far place so who knows who else heard you." That voice, the smell of tobacco. I know that guy.