Flames In The Night

"Hey Adam, this is the third time I called. I'm coming over. You said you were drinking and I just want to make sure you're okay. You better not have done anything stupid or I'll kick your butt!" I sighed, leaving a voicemail.

Adam was a great friend of mine, but he was scaring me. Ever since Nick and Matt kicked him out of The Elite, he was been different. A lot different. On top of drinking more, he was losing his mind and that scared me.

I wanted to come over to try and lift his spirits but he said he wanted alone time and some whiskey, like usual. This time, I wasn't having it. This was getting way too out of hand and I couldn't stand there and watch it anymore.

When I pulled up to Adam's house in the woods, it was dark, all the lights in the house off, but on the side of his home, where his bar was, I saw a dim light on, like a lamp. I parked on the side of the house, rushing to get out of the car and run to the back door. 

Adam actually gave me a spare key a while back and I used it, still worried sick about him, but when I opened the door, Adam was sitting in his recliner, a small glass of brown whiskey in his hand, just staring off into space.

"Adam, what the hell!" I exclaimed, frustrated with him, "You couldn't pick up the phone?"

"I turned it off," Adam whispered, not even looking at me.

"This is getting ridiculous. I was worried sick because I knew you were drinking and you didn't answer the phone! You haven't been yourself, AT ALL, lately and I can't just stand here and watch this shit!" I explained, growing frustrated with him, but I became silent as he shook his head.

"Well, I'm actually not drunk. I barely drank," Adam whispered, looking down even further, his head falling down.

"I know that everything going on with Nick, Matt, and Kenny has being weighing heavy on you Adam, but don't push me away at least! You know I will always be your friend! I knew you before the bucks and Kenny did," I sighed, trying to get him to listen and he was.

It was breaking my heart a little, seeing him crying, his voice breaking up as he said, "I know. Don't you see? I'm a piece of shit."

"No, you're not," I pleaded, but I just remained silent.

Adam stood up straight, raising his voice a bit as he said, "Yes, I am! I ruined my friendship with Nick and Matt! I messed up everything and lost the title, let down Kenny! Now, I'm here ruining our friendship too! And for what?! I'm a piece of shit and I'm tired of everyone telling me I'm not!"

I actually jumped as Adam threw his glass to the floor, the glass shattering and whiskey going straight to the floor, making a mess. Although, it did take me by surprise, but I knew that my great friend was still in there. He just had so much to deal with, so much pent up emotion and he needed to get it out.

"Y/N," Adam began, staring into my eyes deeply, going to speak but he stopped, tears running down his face. 

At that point, Adam couldn't hold back his tears and just cried. Instinctively, I just went to him, hugging him tightly. He instantly returned my hug, holding me so tightly like I was the last person he'd ever hug, crying.

It was emotional for me because I actually never saw him cry or be so down like this and it broke my heart. But instead of being heartbroken about it, I had to be a strong friend and be there for him. He was always there for me during my hard time and again, I couldn't leave him like this and let him be this way.

"Adam," I sighed, clearing my throat.

Adam slowly picked up his head, not crying as much, just staring into my eyes. It was hard not to cry, tears forming in my eyes as I added: