Chapter 27- Please, Daddy

~ Rachel's POV~

"Look, Rachel, I need to tell you something." Pete says, my heart dropping instantly. "This isn't the time I want to do this, but you need to know." I don't know if I should take his words positively or negatively. He gets down on one knee, in between the couch and coffee table, taking my hand with him. "Peter, I'm in pjs and just-" I start to say with a throat that's closing up, but he cuts me off. "I know this isn't near as extravagant as you'd want, hell I don't even have a ring. I just want to make this promise now. When the time is right and everything is calm, Rachel Elizabeth, will you marry me?" The tears that were pricking my eyes, make smooth streams down my face, and I taste the salt from my smile. Damn hormones. I nod, and pull his face to mine. He kisses me sweetly, putting his arms around my lower back, pulling me to the edge of the couch to meet him. "I wouldn't have it any other way." I told him truthfully, addressing our lounge clothes and the lack of ring. "Don't worry, I'll get you a ring one day baby." He says, resting his forehead on my shoulder and kissing it lightly. I pull Pete up from the floor, and cuddle back into him, sharing a few more soft kisses. I begin to drown out the tv, and feel heavy-lidded as I move to rest my head in Pete's lap. He rests his hand under my shirt over my stomach and glides his rough fingers over my smooth skin in rhythmic patterns. I remember him twirling my hair before I finally fall asleep.

When I wake up, Pete is still there, and still watching tv. It's dark outside, and I hear the thunder roll through, rain hitting the windows, and the world outside lighting up for a split second. In my sleep, Bear curled up beside my legs and rested his head on my hip, joining me in dream land. It seems we both left Pete to his own devices. "Hey, Pete", I say my voice scratchy from lack of use. He just hums in response, looking down at me and smiling. "Want dinner?" I ask while sitting up, disturbing Bear as he moves to his own corner of the couch. "Mm, sounds great." he whispers, and trails his nose over my ear, kissing his way down to my neck. I just chuckle at him, and kiss his hair before I get up and make my way to the kitchen.

It doesn't take long for me to have the water boiling, noodles in, alfreado cooking, bread buttered and thrown in the oven, and broccoli steaming, because Pete claims I need more vegetables which means he needs to eat them with me. "Smells good in here, babe." Pete says, sauntering up to my spot over the stove. "That's cause it is good." I laugh, knowing exactly how great this meal is. He just chuckles and feeds a begging Bear. We help ourselves to food, sitting at the dinner table for once. "Done?" I ask Pete, standing up to take our plates. "Mmhm. Very good." he says, getting his plate before I can. "I clean, you sit." he says, taking my plate. Ah, an offer I cannot refuse. I just kiss his cheek and bound off upstairs to our room. I end up changing into some black lace boxer things and one of Pete's black hole-y t-shirts. I sit on the bed and pull out my laptop, scrolling through some emails about house listing when Pete comes up. "Kitchens clean." he says, flopping on the bed, putting his arms around my waist and resting his head on my thigh. "I think it was a fair trade. I cook, you clean." I say, smiling that I got out of my least favorite thing to do.

I put my laptop back on the nightstand and stretch my legs out from under me, disturbing Pete slightly, but he finds comfort again. He flips his head facing me, and slides his hands under my shirt, moving his fingers around deftly. "How's baby?" he asks innocently. "I would say baby's pretty good, since we checked on them not even 24 hours ago." I say, laughing slightly. I skim my fingers up his arm, to his hair, messing with the short strands. "I'm Mommy, so that makes you Daaaaddy, right?" I ask, trying to sound cute. He just smiles and says, "I'm pretty sure that how it works." And kisses my stomach, moving his head to rest closer to it. "So, Daddy." I say, lightly making circles with my nails on his shoulder. He chuckles and says, "So, Mommy." I feel my heart race at the new name I'll be given soon. "I think Baby wants to go to Mexico. Just so Mommy and Daddy can have a good time before they make mommy big." I say, hoping he'll understand what I'm trying to say. "Baby wants to go? Are you sure it's not Mommy?" he asks with a playful mocking tone. "Oh I'm sure. They're saying, 'Please, Daddy. Mommy really wants this.'Trust me, I'm an expert." I say, trying to give off an expert look. "Anything for Baby." he says sweetly, pushing himself up on his arms, kissing me softly. "Mm, me and Elizabeth are hanging out tomorrow, and it's late." I say, reluctantly pulling away from Pete, looking at the clock. 1:43. "And you need sleep to lounge around?" he says, mocking us. "Yes, in fact I do. I'm the pregnant lady after all." I say laughing, pecking him quickly. "Yea, the sexy pregnant lady." he says, giving me a smirk and kissing my hair before pulling the covers out from under us to cover up.