Introduction

It is just for one night.

That is the thought Keelin Anderson keeps repeating in her head when she pulls up to the tall and grey building where her friend, Norman Winters, works. Keelin has no idea how she was talked into this situation. She got the phone call just an hour ago.

*A little while ago*

Keelin was just typing on her laptop, trying to finish her midterm paper for Music Appreciation class when her cell phone started to ring. She recognized the ringtone she picked out for her friend, "Pompeii" by Bastille. She ignored the phone, focusing on her paper when her phone starts going off again. She sighed in defeat and picked up the phone to answer it. She puts the phone against her right ear and speaks, "Hello." "Keelin! It's Norman! Listen to me. What are you doing right now?" He asks her breathlessly. She giggled at his geekiness and cleared her throat, trying to sound professionally. "I'm trying to finish this midterm paper that Mrs. Sheridan assigned us. If I don't finish this and get a good paper on it, I'll get a bad grade and totally be ruined. Why do you ask?" She rants, letting all her emotions let out. She wasn't trying to be rude; she was just having a bad and stressful week. "Well, you remember a few months ago when we were both at Berry College and I said that I was going to invent something so amazing that it will change the course of human events forever?" He exclaims through the phone. She thought about it, trying to remember that conversation. "Yeah. Why?" She lied, clearly not remembering. "Well, it happened. I need you to come down to Stormweaver Base Headquarters right now." He ordered her. "Why?" She questioned. "Because I need you to help me. Like you promised me." He said. That was when memory hit her. 'Oh. That promise.' She thought. "Okay. Just let me save this paper and I'll be right over." She promised another lie. "Great! See you in a bit!" He chuckled. She hung up and set her phone on the dining room table. She sighed while she placed her hands on her face. She knew that she promised, but if she were to be honest, she doesn't live up to her word some of the time. However, Norman is her friend. And friends always come first. So, Keelin saved what was left on her paper, turned off her laptop, and put on her worn-out black converse. She found her keys and headed out to her car.

*Now*

She pulls up to the building and parks in the guest parking lot. She gets out and locks her car before walking towards the entrance doors. The front desk wasn't busy, so Keelin walks up and asks for Norman Winters. They told her to wait and she sits down in the lobby. All the sudden, she hears her friend's voice. "Keelin!" She stands up and Norman hugs her tightly. "Norman. No time, no see." Keelin smiles. He lets go and guides her to his lab, "Keelin, I have invented a device that will change the course of human events forever!" Norman exclaims. "You said that already." Keelin reminds him, giggling at her nerdiness. "No, Keelin. This is the real thing." He breathes out as they enter the lab. Keelin looks around the lab to see a lot of shapes and colors. "Keelin, listen to me. I have spent countless hours and innumerable months, trying to solve the correct equations and calculate the right amount of energy to take someone back in time. And I think you can help me." He explains. Keelin can't help but be intrigued; her friend has built a time machine? "That is amazing, Norman. Does anybody else know?" She asks. "Only a few. But they are sworn to secrecy." Norman tells her. Keelin remembers her paper. "That's good. Because the paper I was writing before you called me was writing a story about the Medieval, Renaissance, and Baroque periods. Is this machine of yours capable of taking me back all those three times?" She questions her friend. Norman thinks about her question, "I don't know, to be honest. You seen what happens in Sci-Fi movies." He said with a worried tone. "I'm not worried. You are a genius; I trust you." She smiles warmly at him. He takes a deep breath, "Now, where is this time machine?" She inquiries. "Um... well, it's not necessarily a time machine with blinking lights and Christopher Lloyd and Michael J. Fox." He rubs the back of his neck awkwardly. He hands me a necklace. It was the locket from her favorite show, 'The Vampire Diaries.' "This locket is the time machine?" Keelin asks, now doubting her friend's intelligence. "Well, I wasn't going to waste my time building a common time machine you see in the movies. I had to be creative. And I know how much you love that vampire show, so I created a replica locket from the show." He explains with a huff. "Norman, you are my friend. But, you're crazy. I know I must write this paper, but going back in time and possibly risking my life just to prove you are right? Forget it." Keelin shakes her head and walks towards the door. "Keelin! Please! You promised!" Norman plead. Keelin turns to him, "Well, if I'm to be honest, I promise a lot of things." "I'll pay you!" Norman got down on his knees. Keelin stops before she can open the door. She thought about it, "How much?" "Enough for you to pay off your college tuition as long as it takes. Not that it would take long for you to finish college, but still..." Norman said. Keelin turns on her heels and faces her friend, "If I make it back alive and all in one piece, it's a deal. But if I die or get burned to a crisp..." Keelin starts off, but Norman held out his hand without a second thought. "Deal!" He exclaims excitedly. The pair shook hands, binding the deal. "Alright. Um, there should be a medieval dress for you in that closet over there." He points to the closet. Keelin nods to him, and heads to the closet. She opens the door and sees a beautiful dress that could fool anyone in the medieval period. As Keelin gets into the dress, she understands why she must dress-up: if she shows up in her black jeans, My Chemical Romance t-shirt, and black converses, they'll burn her at the stake. After she's done dressing, she steps out and sees Norman warming up his machine. "Norman." She calls out. He turns to see her. "Perfect. You look perfect." He compliments her. "Thanks." She bows. "This necklace will help your transport you back here so that you can dress up for the next era. The garnet in the necklace will glow when it comes time. I do not know how long you will have until then, so... have fun. Understand?" Norman clarifies. "Yes. Just out of curiosity, what happens if I do something out of the ordinary?" Keelin enquiries as she puts the necklace on. "I don't know. Something bad." Norman shrugs. "Well, that's comforting." Keelin sarcastically sighs. "Good luck." He nods as Keelin takes a shaky breath and closes her eyes as she feels the necklace working around her neck. She suddenly feels lighter, as if she is flying in the air. Then, it was silent. Keelin opens her eyes and she notices how the atmosphere changes. She wasn't in the lab anymore; the scenery surrounding her looks like a house. It was cold, damped, and dark; the only light source in the house is from the fireplace. The machine worked.