Prologue

Prologue

"I remember"
︶︶︶꒥꒷︶︶︶︶꒷꒥︶︶︶

[ RAY'S POV ]

Crime fighting is my job. I fought to help these citizens of Swellview. But I wont deny, I fight for myself as well.

Though, I never had to worry about fighting alone.

Her name was Aurora, my remarkable wife. She had it all, well, besides a power. She had an uncommon combat skill, though that's because she was a natural at it.

She was my side kick.

We got married at 19, freshly out of high school. We were high school sweethearts. Though of course, life has to be full of rollercoasters, even if you hate riding them.

beep.. beep.. beep..

I listen to the sound of the hospitals devices closely. Every beep swallows me whole, nervous if the beeping will stop. I don't want it to stop.

I feel a tug on my sleeve, "What's wrong with mommy?" my daughter, Y/N asks me with a tilt of her head.

I give a weak smile of reassurance, "Nothing, it's going to be okay."

err. wrong.

Sounds of movement shakes the hospital bed. My eyes dart over to my awakening wife's attention.

Hesitation grows in my hands as they make their way to Auroras, taking her shaky hands into mine.

She whispers from her weakened breath, "Ray?"

"Yes?" I titter, tears wanting to form before me.

Y/N scans us both, confused. She holds onto her stuffed cat tightly, hating the sight of her parents upset.

"Did you stop them?" She muttered.

I grit my teeth, "I tried the best I could. I will get back at them, I promise."

She smiles softly, exchanging her eyes from Rays to her daughters. "Hi, beautiful."

Aurora holds out her hand, in an offer to take Y/N's. Y/N jumps up from the hospital chair and strides over to the bed, where her mother lied.

Y/N takes Aurora's hand into her own, "Hi, mommy. Are you okay?"

"I'm okay, baby." Aurora pecks Y/Ns forehead for reassurance. We sit in comfortable silence for a few good minutes until a nurse clicks open the door.

The nurse politely waves, "Hello, Mr. Manchester. I will have to ask you to exit the room, we have to do some tests and scanning." she ordered.

I nod my head quietly, taking Y/Ns hand from her mothers, "I love you."

She smiles, "I love you too."

I walk Y/N and I out of the room, closing the door behind me as softly as I could.

————————- ✩

[ Y/N's POV ]

Hi, I'm Y/N, and I'm 13.

I still remember the night my Dad and I left the hospital. I remember watching my mother lie in a hospital bed when she looked nauseated.

I remember seeing the hurt look in my fathers eyes, and the sorry look in hers.

I remember not knowing what to do; not knowing how to react.

I remember not being told what happened to my own mother. He refuses. I know it wasn't just her cancer that killed her, I'm old enough to realize that.

Nights I feel disoriented while lying in bed, thinking about her; thinking about the family I could've had.

Yeah, I'm grateful to have my Dad, Ray. But it's hard not having a mother figure. Dad is always there for me, and I know he always will be.

Although, sense the incident I don't even know about; he hasn't been the same. Though, neither have I.

I want someone to be here with me, who I can rant to about my problems and they'll listen, to help me when I'm sick, to care for me.

I want someone who will treat me right; who will never give up hope.

I want someone.

words ;; 622