Chapter 8: The Aftermath

I stood up and slowly walked back to where the group was standing. Everyone was silent except for Carol who was sobbing profusely. Just today I had assured her that her daughter was safe, and in that same day, the hope I gave her crumbled.

"Don't look." Daryl told Carol, trying to lift her up and face her away from her daughter's limp body. "Don't look."

Carol pushed Daryl off of her and got good footing before running off toward the camp. Daryl watched her leave before looking to me. I sighed as I looked back to Carol. I knew she shouldn't be alone. Even if she didn't want to talk, she needed someone to watch over her.

I left the group and followed Carol into camp. She walked into the RV, and I followed suit. When I entered, I saw Carol sitting down, looking out the window crying. I slowed my paced as I walked up the stairs into the RV and sat down across from her.

She looked to me, tears flooding her eyes, but she didn't say anything. Instead, she looked back to the window. I followed her gaze to the window. There was nothing but nature in our view, resilient, beautiful nature. We sat not looking at each other. Eventually her weeps quieted, and my concern grew as a result.

I decided to speak up. "I wish I could say I understood." I started. Carol met my gaze before looking back out the window. "I have lost so many people. Friends, family, soldiers..." Images of bloodshed, empty eyes, and burnt wings flooded my mind. I quickly shoved that pain away before I could allow myself to grieve.

"But I have never lost a child." I finished. I let that sentence linger before continuing. "I'm here--" 

"What was that light?" She interrupted. I had a feeling she already knew the answer, but I answered anyway.

"It- it was her soul." I told her. Carol exhaled sharply in response.

"So she was trapped... in that thing. The whole time we were looking for her she was-" Before Carol could finish her thought, she started to cry again.

I had hoped my actions would bring peace, but I now realized I had only brought more pain to this poor woman. I had made things worse. "And you made me hold on the hope." She said in between sobs. She said the word "hope" with absolute disgust.

"Carol, I didn't-" I started. 

"I had almost accepted the possibility of her death, and then you gave me hope." She said again.

"I didn't-" I started again. 

"And now, you tell me she was stuck.. in that thing this whole time." I could clearly tell she was angry with me, but her delivery was so calm. 

"Carol-"

"Please. Just leave me alone." She begged, her voice cracking slightly. 

I didn't argue with her. I simply stood back up and started to leave the RV. I stopped for a second at the last step down, considering whether or not to say "I'm sorry." But at this point, I realized those two words would comfort no one, not even myself, so I decided to leave without a word. I walked by Daryl on my way back up to the barn, and he caught my arm to stop me. 

"How is she?" He asked.

"She-" I started, unsure on exactly what my answer would be. "She's grieving... she just needs some time, some patience as she decides how she's going to carry this with her."

Daryl studied me before he nodded as if accepting my diagnosis. He broke our eye-contact to look to the RV. After a second of silence, he left to walk toward Carol. My eyes followed him for a second before I continued walking to the barn.

Rick, Lori, Andrea, Shane, T-Dog and Jimmy were already at the barn as I got there. I stood next to Lori as she spoke. "Let's... let's dig a grave for Sophia, and Annette and Shawn, uh, over by those trees. And we'll need a truck to move the bodies."