Chapter 4: Just Tagging Along

Daryl and I spent the rest of the night skinning and chopping up the deer, trying to find a use for every single part of the carcass.  We mostly sat in silence. Only occasionally glancing up at each other and asking for certain items.

By the time everyone was awake, the meat was cut up. I picked up the not so beautiful platter of raw meat, and followed Daryl to the campfire. As we approached, I saw Dale pass Lori who was putting on some boots.

"Morning." I said as I passed them.

"Morning." They both replied, looking a little uncomfortable. Lori then walked towards Carol who was hanging up laundry.

After the two of us set down the meat next to the campfire, I looked to Daryl. "What's up with them?" I asked.

The only reply he gave me was a small grunt without looking at me. He then promptly walked away towards Rick, Andrea, T-Dog, and Shane. I wiped off my hands on my jeans and followed him.

The bunch of them were next to a car, looking at a map laid out on the hood of the car. "If she made it as far as the farmhouse Daryl found, she might have gone further east than we've been so far." Rick said.

A young man passed me who I had seen but couldn't remember his name. "I'd like to help." He said. The group looked at him, hesitant. He continued, "I know the area pretty well and stuff."

"Hershel's okay with this?" Rick asked.

"Yeah yeah. Uh, he said I should ask you." He replied a little too quick. I immediately knew he was lying, but Rick didn't seem to care.

"All right then." Rick said. "Thanks."

"I'd like to help too." I said. The group them shifted their eyes on me.

"Hell no." The asshole named Shane said.

"Thank you..." Rick said, mentally searching for something.

"Anapiel, but you can simply call me Annie." I said, trying to smile to show I was not someone to be scared of.

"Thank you, Annie, but I'm not sure if that's the best idea." Rick finished.

"Why not?" I asked, letting my frustration slip through.

"We don't know you." Andrea said bitterly.

"Doesn't seem like you know this kid either," I said pointing to the young man who volunteered before me, "but you're letting him help."

A small wave of silence passed. "Look, I don't care if you trust me or not. You said there's a girl missing, and I want to help her."

"Okay." Rick said.

"You're not serious." Dickhead Shane said, looking at Rick.

Rick ignored him. "But someone needs to keep an eye on you. Daryl?"

Daryl looked at Rick, then at me, "fine."

"Okay," I smiled. "Good. Now where's this farmhouse?"

"Nothing about what Daryl found screams Sophia to me." Shane snarked, before anyone could answer. "Anyone could have been holed up in that farmhouse."

"Anybody includes her, right?" Andrea replied.

"Whoever slept in that cupboard was no bigger than yay-high." Daryl said, which took me aback.

This was a kid? We were looking for a little girl? I don't know why I had imagined we were looking for someone older, but finding out how small she was made me even more motivated to find her.

"It's a good lead." Andrea said.

"Maybe we'll pick up her trail again." Rick said. Dale came up next to Daryl with a bag of guns.