Chapter Two

Miriem

When I woke up, I found myself restrained on top of a table. Leather straps locked my hands and feet to the corners, and another was tight against my waist, keeping me almost entirely immobile. There was a sharp ache pounding through my head, like a migraine on steroids, and I felt sluggish as if drugged.

When I was finally able to muster up enough energy to open my eyes, I found that man with a sickly sunken in the face was standing over me. Upon looking around to further assess my surroundings, I saw that my father was also present. He was just sitting in a chair nearby, watching as the man over me was checking to see if the restraints were fastened properly.

"My dear daughter, I am thoroughly disappointed," I hear Silco say.

"Why ever do you say that?" I respond in a heavily sarcastic tone. I knew full well this would happen, it was only a matter of when. And I guess that time has come rather quickly, faster than I had initially expected.

"I had great plans for the two of us, you know?" He starts, rising from his chair as the other man leaves to grab something from another table a few feet away. "We were going to rule the Undercity. Together. It was going to be wonderful. I know we were never close-"

"Because you decided your priorities with your business were greater than caring for your own child!" I interrupt him, my voice raising in volume. My anger towards him was quick to overthrow any logic that I had in such a situation as this.

"But," he continues, completely ignoring my statement. "I love you, and I wanted you to have a part in the great things I aim to do for our people." Love me? Love me?! Then why the fuck didn't you treat me as if you did?! Why did you insist on sweeping any and all fatherly actions under the rug in favor of your fucking BUSINESS?! "And yet, you've betrayed me, my love. And for that, there must be consequences."

I laugh humorlessly, "Yeah, no shit."

The strange man walks back up to us, a vial of Shimmer and a large syringe in his hands. The vial is clearly much larger than any dose I've ever seen my father take before.

My father continues. "I assume you know what that is? Ah, who am I kidding, of course you do," I watch as the guy fills the syringe with the bubbling purple liquid, and start to squirm violently as he brings the needle close to my skin. "You have a price to pay for what you did. And that price is being our test subject."

The guy moves the syringe even closer to me, the needle poking into the side of my neck, but not yet penetrating the skin. I watch as Silco pushes himself dramatically from his chair, turning to stalk slowly around the room with his hands clasped behind his back and his head held high.

He's really playing this villain role to the fullest extent, isn't he? The slowly stalking around and being ever so overdramatic about every little thing is quite comical if I do say so myself. Ugh, even the way he's speaking is over the top, drawing out certain syllables longer than others and talking at an uneven rhythm. It's getting real annoying real fast.

"You see, the last time we used this stuff, only about an hour or so ago, by the way, it turned our subject into a monster. Luckily for you, we had another formula already whipped up and ready to go," he gestures to the syringe the strange man is holding against my neck. "This one should have different effects on the body, but as always, only time will tell if that theory proves to be correct," he faces the guy wielding the syringe, "Do it. Just get back to me later with the results." And with that, he struts out of the room.

Now that it's only me and this other guy in the room, he lowers the Shimmer from my neck but keeps it in his hand. As he begins to speak, I come to hear his creepy voice, and I know that nothing good will come from this entire situation. Hell. I mean, yeah I knew my father would punish me for going to the "enemy",  but I didn't think he'd stoop low enough to inject me with Shimmer.