3.

Present

"Ok, time to go." I say to the guy I'd met off of Tinder last night. I don't even remember his name, but I appreciate the work he put in.

He rolls over sleepily, reaching for my body but I slip quickly out of the sheets and grab a t-shirt from the floor to pull over my body while giving him a little grin.

"You don't wanna cuddle?" He asks, blinking the sleep from his eyes as he watches me move around the room.

"Ah, see, I'd love nothing more, but I've got to get to work." I shrug apologetically.

He furrow his brows, rubbing his forehead. "But it's Sunday." He says confused. "I thought you didn't go in on Sundays?"

I bite my lip, turning away so he can't see my face while I grab a pair of panties out of the drawer and slip them on before slipping my legs into a pair of my scrub pants. "Right." I tell him, looking around for my bra. "But I've got to go in to finish some office stuff I didn't get to Friday." I turn back and smile at him. "Rain check on the cuddles, ok?"

He yawns and throw his legs over the side of my bed. "Ok." He says, finding his clothes strewn across the floor from where we had discarded them in a hurry last night when we got back from the bar. "Do you want to grab some breakfast?"

"Already running late." I say, swapping the t-shirt for my scrub top and brushing my fingers through my hair to put up in a bun on the top of my head. "Next time." I promise.

He finishes getting dressed and comes to me, pulling me in for a hug while he takes a deep breath in the curve of my neck. "Next time." He sighs, squeezing me a little before he releases me.

I swing the bedroom door open and walk out into the apartment, glancing back to make sure he's following me.

I take him straight to the front door.

I slip my feet into the sneakers waiting for me there and then I follow him out into the hallway. "Oh shit, I forgot my coffee." I say, opening the door again.

"I'll wait for you." He says. "I can walk you to your car."

"Don't be silly." I pat his shoulder. "You go ahead."

He frowns a little but then smiles. "I hope you have a good day at work." He tells me and I beam at him.

"So sweet." I nod. "Thanks!" I dip back into the apartment, closing the door behind me.

I bypass the kitchen and go straight back to my room, kicking off my shoes before I jump back into the bed, tugging the comforter up over my body.

I snuggle in and sigh.

"Another one bites the dust?" One of my roommates, Ella, laughs, coming into my room to sit on the edge of my bed. "What did you go with this time? Emergency?"

I pull the blankets back down to show her my scrubs. "Work, duh." I wink and she laughs, shaking her long blonde hair out behind her. "What?" I raise a brow. "Not all of us are madly in love with our high school boyfriends and planning a spring wedding, ok?" I tug my blankets back up. "Plus, you know I can't sleep with someone in my bed."

They always get in the way. They breathe too loudly, or so quietly that I spend the whole night wondering if they have sleep apnea and they just died in my bed. I'm either stuck trying to cover my ears to drown out snores or rolling over constantly to check for heartbeats. It's exhausting.

"It's a queen sized bed, Hayden, how hard can it be?" Ella asks.

I frown at her. "Queen sized with me in it means it's at capacity." I remind her. "Plus they always want to sleep like right up on me, it's annoying."