Chapter 5: Another Pet

*Unedited

· · · · ⚔︎ · · · · ⚔︎ · · · · ⊲ ✦ ⊳ · · · · ⚔︎ · · · · ⚔︎ · · · ·

𝓡𝓮𝓷𝓯𝓻𝓲'𝓼 brooch and the rabbit pendant I once gifted to her rest in my hands as I look down on the pile of rocks marking her resting place. I chose carefully in the hopes she would approve of the location, not like it matters much now. The meadow of sunflowers surrounded by a forest of thick trees seemed rather fitting. She was born just after the day of the Black Sun and now she'll remain bathed in the smell and color of sunlight.

I turn to the stoic Witcher beside me and pass him the brooch, "She'd want you to have it."

He takes the gold jewelry with a nod of thanks. I take my shield off of my back and place it on the ground in front of me. Without a word, I carefully position the rabbit pendant in the metal circle in the middle of it. My hand rests over it, glowing blue. When the light fades, the rabbit has melded to my shield.

I kiss my index and middle finger before caressing the addition and whispering, "Goodbye, Little Rabbit."

When I rise and reposition my shield, I turn to Geralt, "Let me heal your wounds."

He simply grunts.

With a roll of my eyes, I walk toward him. I start by hovering a palm over the stab wound in his lower abdomen. My blue magic answers my call. I watch as flesh molds together until only a light pink scar remains. I bend down and repeat the process with his thigh. When I straighten, I gesture for his hand. He complies and I gently hold his palm in between my own as I heal him.

"Your magic is different from the mages I have met."

I flit my green eyes up to him, "I'm not like other mages."

Then I let go and saunter to my horse, "Where will you go now, Geralt?"

He follows my lead but pauses to answer, "Find another monster to kill."

I climb onto Death and nod, "I would imagine so. Well, let's go."

The Witcher stills completely, "Hm?"

I chuckle, the sound akin to wind scratching on stone, "We make a good team. And after Renfri... Well, I am unaccustomed to traveling alone."

My eyes search out for him so he can see the determination within them. Though I originally was not a fan of the white-haired man due to his infuriating tendency not to reply to me, after Blaviken I truly wish for the company.

"No."

I shrug my shoulders, "Good luck trying to rid yourself of me then."

He sighs but urges Roach forward. Taking that as begrudging acceptance, I follow beside him.

"You know, I once traveled with a Witcher many years ago," I admit. "You remind me a bit of him, though he was much more charming. But the mangy dog always found a way of only buying us one room instead of two at inns. Never gave up despite the fact I made him sleep on the floor each time."

Geralt replies, in his typical detached gravel, "You talk too much."

I chuckle and wink at him, "You'll grow to love that about me."

"Hm."

As we trot off to explore the Continent, my laughter flows in the wind around us.

· · · · ⚔︎ · · · · ⚔︎ · · · · ⊲ ✦ ⊳ · · · · ⚔︎ · · · · ⚔︎ · · · ·