Chapter 8: Betrayer Moon

*Unedited

· · · · ⚔︎ · · · · ⚔︎ · · · · ⊲ ✦ ⊳ · · · · ⚔︎ · · · · ⚔︎ · · · ·

Foltest used to be slim with a pretty - too pretty - face. But looking at the plump man wearing gold and a matching lopsided crown, I would never believe him to be under forty despite knowing it to be true. The king sits on a dwarf-armchair carved from black wood. His skin glistens with sweat and plum-colored wrinkly flesh rims under his eyes. But he seemingly pays no mind to our conversation as he gorges himself on turkey legs.

The Captain wearing a bronze chest plate and matching helmet tucked under his arm stands to the right of the king. While Ostrit, the original soldier we met who had us escorted out of Temeria, stands to his left.

It is the former who addresses us first, "Miss Merigold, you were dispatched to settle a family affair, not to enlist a mutant mercenary and a rogue witch for a game of sleuthing."

Triss, wearing a blue gown, crosses her arms, "This is no game, Captain. Tonight is a full moon, and Geralt and Nessa have already proved themselves to be invaluable."

I nod and exude my typical air of elegance and pure strength, "We believe we can cure the creature."

However, the captain attempts to belittle me, "You say she's a girl. Then you will refer to her as Her Royal Highness."

I barely withhold my eyeroll, "Of course, I will... the moment you actually take our counsel into consideration."

The Captain tenses but Ostrit moves to his side, "Segelin, I believe urgency warrants flexibility in court decorum."

Segelin simply grows more rigid, "The witcher and witch's theory is nonsense. Princess Adda was the people's angel. Who'd wish to murder her?"

Triss glances back at both Geralt and me for support.

The Witcher steps in, "What about her lover?"

My keen eyes notice how Foltest finally pauses in devouring his meal. Very interesting.

"Seditious rumors. Idle courtesans trading out boredom for jealousy," the Captain replies as he walks closer to us.

Triss tries to negotiate, "Perhaps if you called off your guards, if we were able to search the abandoned castle, we could find clues as to who cursed her."

Segelin wrinkles his nose in the most presumptuous of ways, "Except this witcher and his witch would kill the princess as she sleeps and collect the miners' coin."

I don't even bother trying to correct him. I wonder what his fear would smell like if I were to hiss?

Geralt's lips are slightly upturned though it is not a true smile, "Call her a princess. Call her a unicorn if you'd like to. She grew inside Adda, feeding on her petrified womb."

"Have you no respect?"

Not usually. Almost never.

The White Wolf slowly moves towards the Captain who clenches his hand around the hilt of his sword, "Mutating. Growing for years till she got so hungry... she was forced to slither out. Rotten muscle, bent bones, two spidery legs, claws dragging in the dirt. An overgrown abortion."

My eyes remain on the silent king, somehow knowing that Geralt's goal is to see his reaction. I don't miss how he stiffens.

Foltest mutters, "Enough."

"Your Highness?"

The king growls in anger, "Leave."

Segelin and Ostrit bow their heads immediately.