The Dark Mark

Fandom: Harry Potter

Why was the story written? 
This story was written for an interview with a Wattpad community.

_____

Wandering through the hallways of Hogwarts, I felt a cold chill hanging in the air. The prefect badge on my Ravenclaw robes seemed like a heavier burden than it once was. With the threat of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named looming around us, readying to strike and make himself known at any given moment, the school I once called home became one of the least safe places.

My thoughts went to my parents. They both tried to convince me to not go back to Hogwarts. My mother thought it would be too dangerous and my father worried that he might not see me again if I left for the year. I chose to stay over the holidays, just so they wouldn't argue with me. The year had been quiet, apart from the odd thing going bump in the night. I was looking forward to returning home and letting them know that their worries were for nought.

I sighed, rubbing the sweat of my clammy hands on my grey skirt. Whoever decided that I was a trusted—and brave—enough prefect to be on night patrol was a moron!

A flash of green struck the sky from the corner of my eye. Peering through the window, I stared up at the starless night, a dark shroud of black clouds creating an unsettling backdrop. I glimpsed the green skull hanging above the school in the night sky with tendrils of smoke reaching out. It looked like... the Dark Mark!

I bolted from the hallway, racing through the corridors, weaving my way down and up the staircases. I needed to reach Professor McGonagall as soon as possible—she's the one who appointed me and the other prefects to patrol the halls and make sure none of the students in the younger years was out of their common rooms. She needed to know what was happening.

At some point, I lost my way through my panic and reached a staircase to one of the towers. I hid by the stairs, barely level with the rest of the company gathered around Professor Dumbledore. He stood at the edge, his wand cast from his hand. I strained to hear what was being said when, suddenly, a curse escaped one of the group's mouths.

"Avada kedavra!" Professor Snape said distinctly, a flash of green hitting Professor Dumbledore square in the chest.

I gasped, placing a hand over my mouth as I watched our headmaster fall off the tower towards the ground looming beneath.

Who I could only fathom to be Bellatrix Lestrange turned around, her wide eyes falling on me. A smirk split across her face as she raced towards me.

With a squeak, I ran down the steps as quickly as I could whilst Bellatrix's maniacal laughter echoed behind me. Through my tears, I was able to spot a cluster of students moving towards the grounds. I picked up my speed, my feet thundering on the ground until I disappeared among the throng of students.

Turning around, allowing the sea of my peers carry me, I glimpsed Bellatrix retreating into the shadows. She was probably returning to the group gathered around Professor Snape's confrontation with Professor Dumbledore.

As everyone gathered around, the limp body of our headmaster on the floor, I caught sight of Professor McGonagall. I pushed through, my sobs wracking my body as I made my way to stand beside her.

She glanced at me sidelong, her eyes watery.

"Professor," I sobbed, trying—and failing—to wipe the tears from my face. "It was Snape! I couldn't stop them— I was going to—"

Professor McGonagall held her hand up. "There is no need, Lena. Join your classmates. They need you."

I bowed my head, wandering through the crowd until I caught another glimpse of Dumbledore's lifeless body crumpled on the ground. It was strange seeing him like that. I'd always thought of him as one of the wisest and bravest wizards alive, yet there he was on the ground. Dead!

Wands floated into the air, silver light igniting the sky. I joined in, sniffling and sobbing until an arm wrapped around me.

Danny stood there, watching the other students. His Slytherin emblem on his uniform glared back at me, yet it just comforted me knowing that he was here.

Gently, Danny rose his own wand, the silver light glimmering beside mine.

"I know I don't agree with you on most things," he began. "But whatever is happening, I won't be a part of it." He looked down at me, his grey eyes gleaming in the light.

I swallowed, nodding. There was nothing I could say. This may be the only thing we'll ever see eye-to-eye on, but we won't be on the wrong side of this war, not so long as we're both still alive and breathing!