Harry Potter: Master of Death

Entered into the Master of Death contest hosted by the Harry Potter profile.

Posted on: 31st July 2018

I hid beneath the Invisibility Cloak, the Elder Wand within my hand casting the lumos spell

I hid beneath the Invisibility Cloak, the Elder Wand within my hand casting the lumos spell. The white glow illuminated the dark hallway, but only so much. My heart thundered in my chest as I move down the moving stairs that were not moving so much tonight. The paintings all complained about the light, like they normally did if the light was too bright or shone in their faces.

Clambering down the stairs, my footsteps loud and echoing around the stairway, I finally reached the bottom. But footsteps sounded from behind me. I expelled the light quickly from my wand – something I repaired as best as I could after finding it washed up near the lake surrounding Hogwarts – and waited for whoever was there to leave.

I saw a dark figure standing at the top of one of the staircases, their face obscured by the shadows of the corridor which I had just left. Their wand, too, had a silvery glow extending from the end of the wand. It moved around with the person.

I held my breath, not daring to move until the person left.

After a few more flicks of their wand around the general area, they left, along with the light. I waited a little longer after they had left before I wandered down the next dark corridor, my wand extended again as I cast Lumos.

It didn't take me long after that to reach the oak doors leading to outside. I took the path towards Hagrid's hut, passing it along the way towards the Forbidden Forest.

Pumpkins were growing within the backyard of Hagrid's hut, though I never knew where it begun and where it ended half the time, since the entire grounds around it seemed to be a backyard.

As I passed Hagrid's hut, the lights extinguished inside, light snores reaching my ears from the open windows of the hut. My creeping footsteps were thankfully drowned out by the snores which I guessed came from Fang. Every now and then a branch would snap under my feet, or a crunch of something that I did not know – I dared not look in the dark – but every noise I made either went unheard or was interrupted by the snoring.

In little time at all I made it to the edge of the forest, pausing into the dense lines of trees and the darkness beyond. A light fog was skirting the floor, covering it slightly, every now and then the green grass making an appearance. The sound of hooves hitting the ground echoed around the forest, as well as strange, other worldly noises.

The moonlight moved across the ground, disappearing behind clouds and then reappearing with vengeance. The harsh silver light illuminated a narrow pathway through the trees, near to where I was standing.

Carefully, I walked along the treeline to the path. Standing just near the entrance, I took a deep breath, closing my eyes, feeling into my pocket where the Resurrection Stone lay. It felt as though I was asking for all of the stars to guide me, though I knew I would get no answer. There was some magic in the world that would not come true.