03 | If It Means A Lot To You

Fanfic Bootcamp Rank: Corporal

Fandom: Phantom of the Opera

FLASH FICTION
(750 – 800 Words)

The lair was quiet, except for the ripples of the lake hidden beneath the opera house. As the boat rowed for the shore, the gentle tinkle of water echoed against the cavernous walls. Water dripped, dripped, dripped down the old stone, joining its brethren in the lake.

Sometimes I wondered how Erik stayed down here alone with only the water for company. Did it not drive him mad?

However, he would be leaving for a while. Where he was going, he didn't say. So, despite my better judgment, I followed him to his lonely lair. Maybe some space between us would clear my thoughts, and allow me to assess the relationship I shared with Erik. Perhaps he would do the same. It could only do us both good in the end. At least, that was what I tried to convince myself.

I pondered over maybes and hypothetical scenarios as he rowed, rowed, rowed us through the gate. At last, we arrived on the shore. I glanced over the lit candles, illuminating the dark home of the feared phantom. They danced in the light breeze, casting waltzing shadows around the cave-like space. I shivered.

My gaze fell on the organ, a centrepiece of his home. Numerous drawings and compositions were strewn messily on it. I averted my eyes to the rippling waters once more. The last time I was here I found the drawings unbecoming of a lady, especially considering they were of me. I didn't want to infect my mind more with Erik's devilish ways.

Leaping onto the small island first, his long limbs far more agile than mine, he held his hand out to help me. I took it, my warm palm meeting the skeletal, cold skin belonging to him. I shivered again.

"Are you cold?" he asked once my feet were firmly planted on the island. "You may have my cloak to keep you warm."

I help up a hand. "Oh, no. Erik, I am perfectly fine," I said quickly, slightly flustered from his offer.

Despite all his flaws, he could be the perfect gentleman. But only when he wanted to be.

I peered over his shoulder at the sheet music, specifically at the vocal line. It lay unfinished, a string of notes plucked together before indicating the rest. More notes were sure to come after it. Although, I could not help noticing the aim in notation. It was far too high for anyone at the company to do except, perhaps, for me.

"I am happy you decided to come back," Erik said, splitting into my thoughts.

"Erik?" I interrupted his rambling. "Is this music for me?"

I waited for his yellow eyes to land on what I'd seen. I couldn't tell what emotions flickered behind his mask, but those eyes widened, the yellow glowing in the flickering candlelight.

A thin-lipped smile curved from behind the mask. "Yes, Christine." He paused, as though lost in thought for a moment. Then, he snapped out of it. "However, I am saving it for Italy."

"Italy?" I echoed.

Erik bowed his head, his solemn frame hiding in the shadows of the cavern. "That is where Erik will wander."

"But you will be back?" I wondered, steadying myself for his next words.

He considered for a moment, his gaze drifting to me and then averting away again. "One day," he answered cryptically.

Whatever spell was cast upon me suddenly broke at those two, seemingly meaningless, words. Perhaps I would never see him again and I could carry on with my life, believing all of this to be a dream—or a hellish nightmare. Though, I knew better than to think such fancies when it came to Erik.

Minutes turned to hours until the chimes of midnight filled our senses. It was time to leave and return to the ground above the fifth cellar. A lingering smile hung on his lips whilst he helped me back into his boat. It remained until he left me by the mirror in my dressing room, fiddling with the contraption that opened it. He was desperately hiding the tears stinging his eyes. I pretended not to notice them for his sake.

"Will I know when you have returned?" I asked softly, fearful of the prying ears within the company.

He shook his head, the mask making his emotions indiscernible. "I will announce it grandly. It is up to you to hear it."

I blinked, uncertain of his words.

Finally, the mirror clicked shut and I was alone in the cold darkness engulfing my dressing room.

This was goodbye for a time, but we would see each other again and maybe things will be different. Changed. Only time will tell.