Harry Potter: Saving the Potters'

First entered into the Hallows' Eve At Godric's Hollow contest, hosted by the Harry Potter profile.

Posted on: 28th October 2018

As I wander around 1981 Godric's Hollow, I begin to think of what I could possibly do to save James and Lily Potter

As I wander around 1981 Godric's Hollow, I begin to think of what I could possibly do to save James and Lily Potter. I came here without a plan. I was unsure how to proceed.

I was very much certain by now that the people here would think of me as some strange person, following Godric's Hollow in a circle. I was purposely trying to keep away from the infamous home of James and Lily for as long as possible.

As I gave up hope of developing a plan walking in circles, I decided to make my way to the home of the two, knowing full well that I would have to keep to the shadows if the people here thought of me as untrustworthy.

Travelling down a few streets that I had avoided previously on first getting here – a waste of an hour – I noticed that the lights to their home were still on. This would mean that there may be a chance of discovery if I was not careful.

Moving towards the alleyway where a large oak tree was, the trunk big enough for me to hide behind, I stared out towards the home. I was completely obscured by darkness here. No chance of discovery.

It occurred to me I could have easily gone back in time and spoken to Snape, but I was here now. Anyway, Snape wouldn't believe me. Not until it was too late.

It is best that I am here at the scene of the crime than off on the hunt for some double-agent Death Eater. I had Snape as my Potions professor. He didn't like me then – in the future – I'm sure he'd take an equal dislike to me now.

Then an idea came into my mind. Only those closest to James and Lily could they trust.

It was a simple plan that formulated, and I had a month to do so. This could all go terribly wrong, but I have one month to do this before they die. If they believe me is their choice. I can only hope that they do.

_____________________

The night passed by without incident as I sat here, sleeping. My sleep was not at all peaceful, but I had no time to dwell on my dreams and the meaning of them. Instead, I have a task to carry out, no matter the consequences for me. All that would matter in the end is that James and Lily are safe, and Harry Potter has parents, and that this may change everything.

First step; befriend them. I'll give it until the twentieth of this month before helping them relocate – with hope that they believe me. They should listen to their closest friends, surely. If I become one of them, then maybe they can trust me.

I made my way towards the door, seeing shadows pass by the windows. Someone must be up – or they're using magic to do the cleaning. I knocked on the door twice, quite loudly, hoping that someone would hear me.

A few minutes later, just after I had given up all hope of anyone answering the door, Lily opened the door slightly, peeking around the corner as she stared with one eye on me.