Chapter Thirty-Eight

Aiden-

I pulled up to the school for an evening dress rehearsal. We were two days away from opening night. And about a week away from Homecoming...as Simon had so reminded me that morning.

"So, are you taking Ashley?" He asked.

"Uh..." I started.

"Like, how are things going with her?" He asked. "She seems really great."

"Yeah, she is great," I said. "But actually..."

"I guess I might go with Nikki as friends. She doesn't have a date." Simon rambled on. He seemed almost wistful. It was completely weird.

"That would be cool."

The bell had rung then, though, before I could tell Simon that Ashley and I were actually not a thing...

So here I was, about to walk into our dress rehearsal at 8pm on a Wednesday night. Except for...what do you know? Caleb was leaning against his big, black truck, lighting up. I hadn't spoken to him since the dressing room incident, and that had been a couple weeks ago. Every time I thought about him, I got angry. I also thought about the kisses we had shared. And honestly? I couldn't tell if I wanted to punch him or pin him to the ground and do much more to him than hit him.

I approached him. He didn't seem to notice me walking towards him. I looked around and the rest of the parking lot was dead except for everyone's cars. Everyone else must have been inside already.

Caleb finally looked up while taking a long drag.

"Hey, pretty boy," He said, sounding tired.

He looked it, too. He had large, dark circles under his eyes. And it seemed as though he hadn't slept since we last spoke. What was this guy's deal? What was going on with him? I found myself caring more than I probably should.

I leaned up against the truck, next to him. Not sure where I wanted to start. So I grabbed the joint from him and took a short drag. I wasn't sure if I even liked smoking pot, but I had at least grown accustomed to it. All thanks to Caleb.

If he was surprised, he hid it well. He reached across me to grab the drag back, and his hand brushed the lower part of my stomach as he did so. My stomach tightened and seemed to do an inner flip-flop. I hated that he had this effect on me when I didn't even know much of anything about him, and I knew him probably best out of anyone at school! He was so aggravating.

"Why did you do it?" I finally demanded to know.

"It? What might you be referring to, gorgeous?" He asked.

But I knew he knew exactly what I meant. So I just waited in angry silence and took another drag.

"C'mon, pretty boy! I can't stand you being mad at me!" He cried out, grabbing at his heart.

"I wish you would fucking take me seriously," I hissed.

His face went solemn. "I do take you seriously. That's the problem, ain't it?" He said, and it wasn't really a question.

I looked over at him, closely. "Why did you destroy the sets?"

I had a million other questions too, but I refrained. What are those scars on your stomach and chest from? Why don't you let people get close? Why are you so secretive? What was your life like before you landed into mine? But I didn't ask those questions.

"Because that's what I do when the going gets good," He said, ever so mysteriously and morbidly.

"I think I want to punch you!" I said, so out-of-my-mind frustrated.

"We spend all this time together, and I still don't know shit about you. And you love to cause problems! I just don't get it. I don't get you!" I yelled.

He looked amused. This made me want to hit him more.

I was trapped in the dark glint of his eyes.

All's I want to do is escape. But I definitely knew that Caleb wasn't someone I could completely escape from. Would I forever be trapped in his mysterious dark eyes?

That's when I lunged towards him. Except I didn't hit him. I meant to, but I didn't. Instead, I grabbed his shoulders and kissed him. I kissed him hard; I kissed him good. And it felt...so bad. And so right...

Though I was practically positive I was gay, I knew that Caleb couldn't be any good for me. Since he'd been around, I'd strained my relationships with my friends, skipped more school than I could keep straight, and started smoking illegal substances. But I was drawn to him, ever since that first moment I had seen him coming down his new home's stairs in those big, clunky black boots.

So I kept kissing him. Our tongues met, and I almost started smiling. I couldn't help it. He tasted sweet. He gripped my back passionately, and I knew I had real feelings for him.

I liked Caleb, a guy. For sure. No doubts. I also couldn't stand him. I promised myself to figure out what that meant later.

He bit my bottom lip, and it almost hurt. But I liked it.

Then I heard a set of footsteps behind us.

"Holy shit! You two are fags for each other!"

My heart fell into my stomach as I jumped away from Caleb and turned around.