I: Initiis

My best friend, Marin, has always been open about their religious affiliations. It's scared away several potential friend and it has since we were little. They're a satanist, and part of this...the best word I have for it is anti-church. My dad wasn't the biggest fan when I was little, but Marin stuck with me through everything nonetheless. Nothing he did could break up our friendship and at a certain point, he realized that.

Marin and I met when we were 5. It was my first day of kindergarten after moving to a new town. The teacher assigned me a buddy to show me around, but Marin scared her off and convinced the teacher to let them be my buddy. For a bit it confused me hearing about their life. I always heard stories about the other children in the ministry, all of which seemed to be their friends, despite Marin having none at school. Hell, I thought they had 2 dads for the longest time, always hearing them talk about daddy and papa. Turns out papa is essentially the head of their church. Papa Emeritus, to be exact. I believe at the time it was Nihil emeritus, the father of the more recent papa. In 5th grade, people stopped blindly believing what Marin said. Started doubting that the kids at the ministry were real, and even doubting the existence of the ministry itself. They gained the reputation of the liar and sadly, it stuck for a long time. I had met their parents, though, seen the strange necklaces I now know are grucifixes.

Since we graduated I've been getting more involved with the anti-church, or clergy, as they seem to prefer, but I try to keep my distance from the prospect of joining. I'm just there for Marin.
They're the only family I have left, after all. I can't just abandon them.

I know Marin wants me to join the clergy. They're not subtle about it in the slightest, but they've actually been a lot less insistent on it recently, which has been a pleasant surprise.
Closest I've gotten so far recently is today, baking little satanic-themed cookies for a friend's birthday.

They led me through long, identical hallways, for what seemed like forever. I had never been so far into the ministry. I had begun to fear we were lost when Marin passed me the plate of cookies so they could knock on the door. When it opened, they cheerily spoke
"Happy birthday, Sister Lydia!"
"Oh, you remembered!" The small woman held her hands to her chest as she spoke. I thrust the cookies forward and her smile grew as she grabbed the tray. "This is so kind of you two! Thank you."
Marin spoke before I could "Well we should get going, have a nice day."
"I will." She closed the door before I could say anything to her.
"We've got one more stop now."
"I thought I was just here to help with the surprise"
"Well I'VE got a surprise of my own so..." they chimed like a bell, pulling me along the way we came.