ೃ⁀➷ xiv. christmas lies

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•

life was simple for young astrid erikson. wake up, harvest the crops, make breakfast for siblings, help ainsley practive magic, sword fighting with father, see klaus, go to sleep. it was a routine she strictly followed as there really was not much to do.

her life was simple, she was simple, her beloved was simple.

her beloved, niklaus mikaelson, was a simple boy. he loved many things with his heart for he wore it on his sleeve, his siblings, his mother, his father (despite all), and her. the world can take all but her.

"i saw you and your siblings earlier," astrid said, klaus arms wrapped around her as they laid on the ground. "burning wood, like you always do this time of the year."

klaus chuckled. "yes, it's a silly tradition."

astrid rolled her eyes, "do not like to me, my darling. i know you love your family's traditions, no matter how silly you deem it to be."

"perhaps," he said before burying his nose in her collarbone. "what did you and your family do?"

"the usual, actually," astrid said, wanting to tell him that ainsley's magic had improved and that aiden learned how to turn on will. but they didn't talk about things like that. "though... i did miss you more than normal."

a chuckle escapes klaus, sending a shiver down astrid's spine. "is that so?"

"yes," astrid said. "what else did you guys do?"

klaus was silent for a while, which concerned the blonde girl. "father and i... argued." astrid knew what that meant by now. klaus and mikael 'arguing' meant the latter shouted at her beloved without proper reason. "he said i was worthless and–"

"do not repeat his words to me, my darling. hearing them would agitate me and i cannot promise i wont turn this very second and rip out of his head." strangely enough, that made klaus laugh. not snicker or chuckle, an honest laugh as he threw his head back, lightly slapping her shoulder. "why are you laughing? i am serious!"

"i am laughing because you are serious," klaus said. "do you love me so, that you would do all that?"

"of course i do, niklaus. i love you so."

"i love you so, as well, my love."

the two of them stare at each other, memorizng the other's face, and for a second, it was truly just them. there are old sayings of a love like that. a love so pure that others cannot possibly exist. but to them, it was true.

it was the truest, most factual thing in their life.

"whatever it is he said, it is not true," astrid said as she kissed his forehead. "you are good, niklaus."