Red feels very watered-down lately

Notes:

What are the land walkers up to?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Red took another long swig of rum from the bottle.

The strong spiced taste grounding him as he contemplates how his god forsaken life has turned into a fucking soap opera with him as a god damn tragic swashbuckler side character that is stuck babysitting an overgrown waterpuppy, well his lily-livered rapscallion of an ex gets to be the main protagonist. Living the dream, well leaving Red behind for much greater and better things. All because of that asshat Doctor with 'magic hands' convinced the vanilla bastard to join that stupid program or whatever for marine biology and Science....

No.

Red wasn't bitter or jealous at all...However, the two empty bottles of rum, that are staring mockingly back at him, suggested otherwise as he eyed a third one.

Currently, the skeleton monster is sitting at his cramped desk in the dark of his personal cabin in the haul of his brother's ship; The Devils Cursed Jewel. Red has always found the name his brother choose to be ironic, considering their circumstances with curses and jewels. The ex-pirate Captain grimaced at the thought. It all started because of that stupid legend, about the fountain of eternal youth and endless treasure. If only Red realized that the tales where much more than just buried treasure or lost gold, maybe he could've avoided getting himself and his brother cursed in the first place...

Maybe, if he wasn't a goddamn idiot and decided to try to prove everybody wrong, him and brother could've become the kings of the seven seas and became true legends. Not that it matters anymore. What's done is done, and if it wasn't for that vanilla bastard and the sherbet colored pin cushion, him and his bro would have found their way to Davey Jones's locker a long time ago. It's a bitter pill to swallow in Red's cases but he was still thankful nonetheless. (Not really for himself but for his brother.)

His crimson eye-lights catch site of the golden pocket watch resting on the corner of his small desk.

Red's gift from Sans.

Hesitantly reaching for the trinket, he gently picks it up. The watch resets perfectly in the palm of his boney hand, feeling the cold metal as the thin golden chain it's connected to, swings slowly back-and-forth. The skeleton glares at it, his jaw set tightly as he brings it up to the side of his skull, right where his ear would be if he was a human. Listening intently only to be disappointed to hear nothing. He pulls it away looking at it again with a deep frown. Honestly, Red didn't know what he was expecting. The damn thing stopped ticking a long time ago. He closes his eye-sockets resting his hand on the desk running his thumb over the smooth surface of the closed lid, feeling miserable as he recalls the events leading up to this point in time. Even after he got shit faced drunk, Red remembers the night clearly. It was the night Sans broke the news about him and his brother going to move to the main land after meeting the bastard professor, leaving Red and Edge to look after the Island and the pincushion.

It didn't end well.

If anything, it ended in a heartache and bitterness....

With a heated argument breaking out between the ex-pirate captain and the local of the Island. Red calling Sans a hypocrite for leaving and Sans telling Red he can't live in the past forever and that this was a good opportunity for them to learn more answers and see the world. (Red only had a vague clue about what Sans wanted answers too, it was something to do with his and Papyrus's Heritage, along with something about the pin cushion. Other than that Red was in the dark.) Regardless of Red's push back on the matter both Sans and Papyrus ended up leaving for the main land well Red was left in charge of looking after the lagoon and the mer that resides in it, with his brother Edge, helping out when his job allowed it. Before Red knew it, a year passed with no word from Sans about when he or his brother would be returning to the island, always avoiding the subject when they spoke over the phone. That was Red's breaking point, his angry and loneliness rising to the surface calling off his and Sans relationship and telling the other skeleton to shove off which lead the downhearted monster to go on a a pity party drinking binge. Red feels his face scrunch up at the memory of why he stopped going to the lagoon, gritting his fangs tightly together before bring up his free hand to pinch the bring of his nasal cavity. Shame and regret twisting like a pit of snakes his nonexistent gut.