1

October 1984

Eddie wakes up to his alarm on Thursday and literally falls out of bed.

"Ugh," he groans, pushing his tangled hair out of his face and slowly standing up. It's a rainy late-October morning, barely any sunlight coming through his window. Normally he doesn't mind the rain—but it isn't great morning motivation. 

Eddie grabs some clothes and goes to shower, brush his teeth and get dressed. Today is the last day before the big competition. The last day to perfect the routine, ensure his chance to prove that all of this was really worth it. Not a distraction or a waste of time. He is good, really good, and they will beat Hawkins Prep.

They have to.

Eddie's uncle, Wayne, is already at work. He gets up at five a.m. now, which feels weird.  Until recently, neither of them were really on time for anything. After the conference they were forced to attend at the start of Eddie's senior year, a lot changed. Like Wayne deciding to take a new shift and work harder.

Eddie didn't expect him to 'set an example' all the sudden, given their history, but it seems to be working. Eddie's been getting up on time for school and actually doing his homework. His grades aren't perfect or anything, but better. And being promoted to captain of the squad—that was the biggest proof of his hard work.

Of course, it'd be better if the rumors and fights actually stopped. While joining the squad has changed some opinions of him, it's maybe made others worse. Eddie doesn't just give up, though. If they're gonna talk, let them talk. This is his year. He's gonna prove them wrong.

Grabbing a pack of pop tarts, Eddie slings his backpack over his shoulder and heads outside. He hops down the trailer steps to the waiting car in front and opens the door.

"You're late," Nancy says as he settles in the passenger seat.

"Come on, only a few minutes! I'm getting better," he says. She rolls her eyes, but smiles.

"You're right, it is better. Just keep it up."

Nancy Wheeler has been driving Eddie to school for almost a month now. They got partnered for a chemistry project, and she just couldn't resist Eddie's charm and had to be his friend.

Okay, maybe that's not exactly what happened. They just got to know each other more than they originally intended, and once Nancy started piecing his situation together, she stopped acting repulsed by him. And he stopped teasing her about being a stuck-up know-it-all. It seems ridiculous now, honestly. They only treated each other that way because of their school reputations, but hey, that's how it is. Anyone at Hawkins High could relate—the rumors rule.

One of those days, Eddie's van was having problems and Nancy offered to drive him to school. He was able to fix his car, but they're basically friends now. Eddie never thought it'd happen, but you'd be surprised how much two lonely teenagers can have in common.

"How was your morning?" Eddie asks with a mouth full of pop tart.

"First of all, gross. Second," Nancy says. She sighs. "Same as always. Mom asking about you, Mike being obnoxious, et cetera."

"Mrs. Wheeler asking about me, huh?" Eddie grins. Nancy smacks his arm, eyes never leaving the road.

"You know what I mean. She just doesn't understand why I'm doing this, seeing you. I think she suspects we're dating."

"Ha! Imagine."

"I know. But she has a hard time coming up with other reasons to be friends with Eddie Munson."

"I mean, so do I. I question why you do this everyday."

"Good to know we're all on the same page."

Eddie laughs again and finishes his quick breakfast just as they pull into the school parking lot. Eddie gets out first, as usual.