5

Eddie wakes up Saturday morning with thoughts of Steve still in his head.

Thoughts of their fight. Their conversation? Whatever happened last night. Or what didn't.

Eddie hasn't dated anyone in his life, or even gone out with anyone. So he doesn't have experience other than observing couples at school, and like, movies. When he became friends with Robin in freshman year, people eventually assumed they were dating. Which they found hilarious, because in reality they're both gay.

Eddie and Robin were the first people each other came out to, and at least for Eddie, the only person. Being gay in the '80s isn't exactly something you're encouraged to think about, let alone talk about. When the dating rumors were going around, Eddie and Robin had to have an awkward conversation about why they really liked each other just not in that way, before realizing they were having the same problem and just told the truth.

Being an outcast for all the other reasons, Eddie's never actually tried to date anyone. It's bad enough now, but revealing he's interested in a boy only to be rejected would push everything over the edge. He's had crushes, and he's been tempted to try, but ultimately he couldn't imagine anyone liking him back.

There's got to be some other gay people in Hawkins, but anyone liking Eddie specifically seems unlikely.

So despite having no real experience, and otherwise having no reason to assume Steve Harrington isn't straight... was Eddie just imagining what maybe, almost happened last night?

He shakes the thoughts away again, getting up to shower and brush his teeth. Even if something almost happened, it didn't. And it never will. So there's no reason to dwell on it.

Eddie walks into the kitchen to make some kind of breakfast, only to find his uncle already there at the stove.

"Morning!" Wayne says. It's probably the most cheerful he's ever sounded.

"Uh, morning," Eddie says. "What're you making?"

"Eggs and toast. For both of us. If you want it."

"No, yeah. Sounds great. Thanks."

"Don't mention it. Just a little extended celebration."

Oh, the competition. It's not weird he just now remembered winning, right?

He sits at the small counter space and Wayne sets a plate in front of him before sitting down as well. They eat mostly in silence, but Eddie doesn't mind. It already feels weird eating a real breakfast together, without trying to come up with small talk. Though it's nice, too.

Just as Eddie's about to eat the last of his toast, the phone rings. The second morning phone call in two days—Eddie would bet anything it's Nancy again. Though for what he can't imagine. He stands to take the phone.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Eddie. It's me again," Nancy says.

"I figured. What's up?"

"So, um." Weird, Eddie thinks he hears giggling in the background. And he's pretty sure it's not Mike.

"Yeah?"

"Sorry. Someone's being a little distracting." Nancy's stifling laughter too, and Eddie can hear the glare in her voice. That look she gives when she wants you to think she's annoyed, but really she's falling for your charms.

Not that Eddie knows anything about that.

"It's fine. Get to the point," Eddie says.

"Right. In celebration of last night, Robin and I wanted to spend the day at the mall. And we wanted to invite you."