Epilogue

One month later

Eddie pulls into the Hawkins Prep parking lot, already regretting this plan. Why didn't he wait until later in the day? He's definitely not a morning person. Especially not on what would've otherwise been a sleep-in Saturday.

He gets out of his van and tries not to look too suspicious sneaking his way around the school building. Following Nancy's loose instructions (which she had to write down because they both knew Eddie would forget as soon as he got there), he finds the gym doors farthest away from the practice. Sure enough, they open opposite to the squad.

He moves through the doors as quietly as possible, which is surprisingly quiet because of course even the doors at this school are perfect. Sneaking around the corner behind the nearest bleachers, no one seems to notice him. He managed to time it right to arrive just as practice ends.

Eddie waits for everyone to leave, knowing Steve will be last. Hawkins Prep's gym is bigger than Hawkins High's, and the bleachers hide him well enough. Besides, most of these people only pay attention to themselves.

Eddie watches Steve standing next to another set of bleachers, drinking water. His blue and white uniform reminds Eddie of the Scoops Ahoy getup, and also a lot of Steve's personal wardrobe. Steve looks great in anything, meanwhile the green yellow and white cheer uniform on Eddie looks humorous at best. Though Steve tells him otherwise.

As predicted, Steve patiently waits for everyone to leave the gym with all their stuff before getting his own. Like he actually cares about these people, even though they hardly care about him. Eddie smiles to himself. Just more of Steve's famous motherly instincts.

Apparently Steve became quite popular with certain kids at Hawkins Middle last summer, when he started working at Scoops Ahoy. Mike Wheeler already sort of knew him from when he dated Nancy, but Steve wasn't as friendly back then. Robin told Eddie that when Mike and his friends started coming into Scoops over the summer, Steve actually got to know them a bit.

Steve swears they're all annoying, and that he's not going to be a bunch of thirteen year olds' babysitter, but Eddie can tell he likes them just by watching him ask about their grades or warning them not to eat too much ice cream or else they'll be sick.

Eddie thinks Steve likes taking care of other people because he feels like everything's been handed to him all his life. Which isn't exactly true in Eddie's opinion, but it inspires the instinct nonetheless. Steve pays attention to details about people, and he says things like 'how was your day?' Or 'wanna talk about it?' genuinely. He also so easily gets protective of his friends.

And his boyfriend.

Before Steve's about to turn around and head to the locker rooms, Eddie steps out from behind the bleachers and jogs up to Steve.

"Hey babe," Eddie says.

"Jesus Christ!" Steve yells, practically jumping a foot and dropping his water bottle in the process.

"Shh, it's just me," Eddie says, picking up the water bottle before it continues to loudly roll across the floor.

"I know it's just you, asshole," Steve says, smacking his arm. "That doesn't mean it wouldn't scare me half to death."

Eddie laughs. "Come here," he says, pulling Steve in for a kiss. Steve allows it, but pulls away soon after.

"What if someone comes in?" Steve whispers.

"Let them," Eddie whispers back.

"Eds—"

"I know, I know."