4

The parking lot is nearly full, most people are already here for the basketball game. A banner hangs across the entrance decorated with balloons and streamers. As soon as Eddie walks into the locker room, Chrissy ambushes him.

"You ready, Eddie?" She giggles at the rhyme, and it's too cute for Eddie to not smile at.

"You know it," he says. "Wait, Chrissy, this is the boys locker room."

"Oh yeah. Well hurry up and change, we're gonna do some warmups together. Get the spirit high!"

"You're organizing without your captain? I'm offended."

Chrissy almost looks apologetic, before realizing he's joking. "You barely manage us anyway, captain. Now hurry up!"

She leaves, and Eddie laughs. She's right, really. The squad is pretty in sync without him bossing them around constantly, which Eddie honestly prefers. He'd rather feel unified than isolated as captain, even if it's supposed to be a position of honor.

They mostly have fun as a squad. From what Eddie remembers, Hawkins Prep's squad looked the opposite—serious and cold. Only caring about winning. And maybe that's worked for them so far.

But while Eddie cares about winning too, he's also worked hard to prove that cheer is about teamwork and having fun as much as practice and hard work.

He was always more of an art kid than a jock, anyway.

He gets dressed and pulls his perfect curls into a ponytail, even adding the signature bow this time because why not. It's a special occasion. Then he leaves the locker room to meet the rest of the squad for warmups.

The basketball game ends, and they're about to enter the gym. Eddie thinks maybe he'll give a quick speech to the squad. You know, for extra hype. He does love drama.

"Ladies and gentleman of the Hawkins High cheer squad," he says, with as much grandiose as he can. Everyone gathers close to listen. "We have never won against Hawkins Prep, correct?" They nod, uncertain where he's going with this. "Well that's about to change. Because we've worked harder than we ever have on this routine."

"Yeah!" Chrissy shouts.

"We've perfected our form and our ponytails."

"Yeah!" Everyone joins this time.

"School spirit courses through our veins!"

"Yeah!"

Someone opens the gym doors and calls into the hall, "Alright everyone, time to go!"

"Hawkins High," Eddie concludes.

"Hawkins High!" Everyone replies. They cheer and enter the gym.

The thrill of cheering is something Eddie will never get tired of. It's the same feeling he was always craving when he used to preform with his band. The crowd cheering, the lights shining on you, putting on a show. It makes him feel alive.

They get to go first, and assume their positions. "Here we go," Eddie thinks. Just before they call to start, Eddie spots someone in the bleachers, near the back. Looking right at him.

Wayne.

His uncle actually remembered the competition, and came to see him. Grinning, this is the confidence boost Eddie needed to push the remaining doubt out of his head. He's going to win this.

They call to start, and the music begins. It's a rush, but everything's running perfectly. Not one of them out of place, every move right on time. It goes by fast, but by the end the crowd is cheering and Eddie feels amazing.