10

Walking into Scoops Ahoy for the second time is even better than the first, even if Eddie's still a little nervous for what he's about to do. The waffle cone and hot fudge smells are much better than the conflicting scents wafting from every store at once outside the parlor. And hey, even the nautical decor is growing on him.

Or maybe that's just the uniform talking.

Steve is working at the counter, standing in said uniform in all of it's red-handkerchief blue-shorts glory. He even manages not to ruin his hair under the hat; a feat only Harrington himself could pull off. It's all Eddie can do not to run up to Steve and kiss him over the counter right now.

Instead, Eddie smoothly walks up like he isn't nervous at all. Nancy follows behind him. "Afternoon, Harrington," Eddie says. He almost leans in on the counter, then decides to play it safe. Last thing he wants to do is scare Steve off again. "My usual, please."

"Your usual?" Steve asks. He doesn't seem scared yet. "You've been here once."

"I think it's fair to assume that's what I'm talking about," Eddie says. "If you remember, of course?"

Steve blushes slightly, and nods. "Yeah, I remember. And for you, Nance?"

Eddie almost forgot she was there. He steps aside for her to order. "Just a vanilla scoop in a cup, please." She hesitates. "And, rainbow sprinkles."

"Did someone say sprinkles?" Robin appears from the back room, smiling. Nancy brightens at the sight of her. Eddie can't keep from smiling, either. He glances at Steve, silently communicating their amusement of their best friends.

"Just thought I'd try something new," Nancy says. Steve starts scooping the ice cream, and Robin takes his place at the front.

"Excellent choice," she says. "Though I recommend the birthday cake next time, if you're feeling really adventurous."

Nancy giggles. Giggles. Eddie's pretty sure she's never done that in his presence before. "Maybe I'll try it... but only if you get cotton candy."

Robin makes a face. "The absolute worst ice cream flavor in history, you mean? I'll pass."

Steve hands Nancy and Eddie their ice cream. Eddie bites the side of his cone, with a bit of his ice cream. Steve feigns shock.

"Eddie Munson, ice cream biter?" He says.

"Ugh, forgot about that," Robin says.

"Okay, calm down," Eddie laughs. "I don't do it all the time! I just need to eat the cone."

"You're supposed to lick the ice cream down until you can bite the cone safely," Nancy says.

Steve points to her. "Yes."

"Since when have you known me to care about safety?" Eddie asks. No one says anything. Then, they all start laughing.

It's a weird feeling, eating ice cream and laughing with people that feel like real friends. Confusing, foreign, but also comforting. Eddie never thought of himself wanting a lot of friends, but he likes this.

Amidst the laughter and bits of small talk, Eddie notices Robin and Nancy glancing at each other, and Eddie can tell it's a silent conversation. Sure, maybe he can accomplish such shorthand every once and awhile, but he swears girls are born experts at the skill.

A minute after noticing this, Nancy turns to him. "Eddie, weren't you going to tell Steve something?"

"Oh, um," Eddie says, unsure where to start.

"Steve, I can handle the counter for a bit," Robin says. "Hasn't been a busy day anyway. Maybe you and Steve could talk in the back?"

Steve blinks, like he didn't fully hear what she said. "Oh yeah, okay. Thanks."