Real Cats Wear Plaid

A pre outside the burrow Kipo stabs her ice axe into the stone as she talks to herself.

"Today's the day. All the way to the ceiling" kipo types herself up.

She tries to go further up, but loses her grip and nearly falls. However, she can grab onto the ice axe and stable herself with her teeth clenched together.

"What's the holdup, slowpoke?" kipo's dad, Lio, a black man with bushy brown eyebrows and a beard connected to a mustache, asks.

"no holdup. Why?" kipo asks as she crosses her feet and continues to swing left and right.

Finally stopping kipo nervously giggles while asking "Does it look like I'm holding up?"

"No, you are clearly not holding up." Lio says with an eye roll.

"But, uh, while we're waiting, tell me, what minerals are in most abundance at this stratum?" Lio, ask as he motions toward Kipo.

"Dad, that's easy: azurite and malachite, two of my favorite "ites"' kipo says, regaining her lost composure.

"If you can ace a pop geology quiz, then I know you can make it the rest of the way." Lio says, Trying to give his daughter hope.

Kipo looks back up before she reaches out and grabs onto a stone face that's out and pulls her axe out of the stone. Then stabs it up further as she continues up.

Kipo continues climbing when the entire Collom of rock, no, the entire burrow shakes. Causing some rocks to fall into the river below.

The burrow folk all look up as an old lady shrugs and continues walking.

"Whoo! Just a mega mute passing overhead. Little close, but nothing to worry about." Lio says with relief in his voice.

Kipo looks up slightly shocked as she puts a hand over her eyes.

"two, three, four... Five seconds between footsteps."  kipo says as she moves her hand back away from her eyes.

"Whoa, this ones big. What do you think it is?" Lio questions his daughter.

"I'm guessing a 400-foot-tall squirm with eight tails." kipo says, a smile on her face as she guesses something out of this world. (Literally)

"Maybe it's a giant dolphin that's adapted to walk on land." Lio questions.

"Dolphin? Well, I did read once they have vestigial leg bones..." kipo says as Lio listens to the loud mega mute outside the burrow.

His eyes widen as the beast yells out.

"...from millions of years ago." kipo continues, but her father pays no mind.

"they found us..." Lio says in shock as his eyes look around for some escape.

"Did you know they used to look like horses before they went into the water?" kipo says as lip looks down towards the flowing river. Slowly, his mind came up with an idea.